Starting again ☹️

Hi.

The last year has been rough. I’ve put on so much weight, my memory is so bad now, even when I’m sober and I have been drinking a bottle or two of wine every single day.

However I’ve just come back from a week away abroad and realised I’m so tired of being miserable and letting alcohol control my life.

I’ve been sober since Saturday morning and the headaches suck but it’s the longest I’ve gone in a year or so. My partner last night expressed that he’s proud of me for giving sobriety another go and I’m so grateful for him.

I’m also on meds for my anxiety and am doing counseling once or twice a fortnight. I’ve got a meal plan set up to lose weight and a gym routine to get myself better and healthier.

I really am going to try and make 2024 my best year yet.

I want to be sober; I think I’m ready now.

Any advice is welcome - particularly in regards to AA meetings, either in person or online :blush:

22 Likes

Welcome back! Way to go on making the decision again to get sober! Sounds like you already have a pretty solid plan in place so far and good support!

I went to meetings for 10 years and honestly it was a HUGE part of my recovery. Meeting others like me who “get it” and understand was crucial and going thru the steps with a sponsor is honestly what changed my life. It just taught me how to live clean and sober and as long as i put in the work daily, I am free from my addiction. Mtgs were a place I could go to that allowed me to be of service. Making coffee or setting up for the mtg or chairing a mtg . It was really fun! Plus my group did dry dances and had sober activites during the holidays to attend. I dont do in person mtgs anymore (due to time and whatnot) but I occasionally go online. I absolutely prefer in person tho :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I’ve tried looking for meetings near me but i am yet to pluck up the courage to go - anxiety is fun lol. But I’ll definitely be looking at pushing myself to go hopefully soon! Baby steps

3 Likes

Welcome back and congratulations on one of the most important and healthy decisions of your life. This really shows just how desirable your inner values are to you.

Meetings for me eventually became like an extended family.

It took time to trust and share but in time I did. The lesson I learned from it is that our words and experiences have tremendous power. If it weren’t for recovery groups and the unique shares each individual experienced I would not be where I am today. Everyone else’s perspective that they’ve had and shared has helped me to expand my own perspective, giving me opportunity to succeed. I am hopeful that my story or journey helps another to succeed as well, but if I remain quiet and shut down, not only am I risking failure but I may also not ever get the chance to help others in need.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your insight!

2 Likes

You got this! Keep God in your daily strategy.

1 Like

Good for you! You won’t regret the choice. Power through the headaches, they do subside.

Not advice, but something to look forward to. I thought drinking helped with my anxiety, but it turned out that when I got sober I suffered from much less anxiety. It had been so long that I hadn’t realised it was the drinking making it worse…

1 Like