Starting my sober journey

I am starting my sober journey from alcohol today. My mental health has been very bad lately. My family had a house fire December 26, 2021 and it has been very traumatic and depressing. I have turned to alcohol to help try to numb my feelings. Last night was my breaking point. I went out with a friend and got drunk and then decided I was okay to drive home when I know I wasn’t. I never thought I would get to this low point. I hope this community can give me advice and tips on how to get through this. I am really having a tough time.

14 Likes

Today I am 7 days with no alcohol. I’ve been drinking every day for the past 8 years. Shots-beer and everything in between. I too hit my breaking point last week. You are not alone.

I can suggest thinking about what you are gaining from your sobriety & not what you’re loosing.

We got this!

8 Likes

Lots a lots and lots of water and herbal teas at night have helped me find a warm comforting feeling in my gut. I chug water everytime I find myself wanting to drink. I take CBD oil caosuls to help repair the damage I’ve done to my organs and for anxiety, and help sleeping. Go to bed early, sleep also repairs your body and mind. If you cannot sleep you are at least resting g your body. Getting outside as much as possible if you live in a warm climate and especially if you don’t because the little vitamin d you get is desperately needed right now. Meetings are everywhere, therapy if you can afford it. I found feeling bored and listless were hardest for me so I started taking free general interest classes on coursera to keep my mind busy. Starting a new hobby and learning a new skill are incredibly helpful for the mind and soul. More water!

More than anything take it minute by minute, hour by hour. Today, right now, this hour, you are sober, and plan to be for tomorrow. 1 year sober doesn’t matter right now. Only today does. I’m proud of you, friend…welcome home.

7 Likes

Hi Katy and welcome to the community. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m so sorry about your family’s house fire. I know how incredibly sad a loss like that is. I’m glad you’re seeing now that alcohol isn’t the answer. It helps tremendously to read a lot here. I’m going to leave a couple links to get you started. I’m happy you’re here. Always ask for help when you need it. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

You have come to a wonderful website. The people here will support you and help guide you through your journey. Stay accountable here and keep everybody updated on how you’re doing. We don’t know how you’re doing unless you say how you are doing. There’s lots of support here for you. Congratulations on making the decision to change.

5 Likes

Thank you all. Today was hard mentally but I am trying to find positive things to think about as to why I’m doing this. I’m doing it for myself mostly but also for my family so I can be a better wife and mom.

4 Likes

Welcome Katy.
This app has shown me how beautiful my life is without alcohol. I’m grateful every day. Gratitude is my strongest tool. Check out that thread Moxie gave you. It works if you work it. I’ll see you over there.
And you’re worth it.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

You’ve made a massive step by starting the journey, joining this group and posting your truth as you see it, honestly.
It sounds like you’ve had a terrible time and life has been hard for you.
I’m so sorry you’ve experienced such difficulties and it’s not fair.
So many times I have used my own challenging circumstances to excuse why I use substances, to avoid reality or just escape and feel good for a short while.
I’m very new on my journey of sobriety too so I’m only just finding out about how the 12 steps can help me be more honest and not escape.

Being here we are not alone and I send positive thoughts and prayers to you today.

I am holding onto the idea of ‘just for today’. I hope you can hold on to this too, get support from this forum and not beat yourself up but rather stay sober: just for today.
Can you get to a meeting or online meeting?
I had my first one this week and it was scary but I did it and now am glad to feel included in a community of fellow addicts. Weird to say.
Good luck. X

2 Likes

How are you doing, friend?

1 Like

That’s so awesome for reaching out. This community is so awesome. You will find so much help and support here. It’s extremely positive environment. In the beginning I would try to keep things very simple. For me personally in the beginning I had to Stay busy with healthy activities and alternatives. Especially needed a routine and plan for nighttime. It does get easier and it seems to come in waves. The first couple months I noticed that sugar seem to help the cravings, staying busy, setting goals. Also I will make a list of the negatives Versus the positive of drinking,… There is also so many different programs and sober communities… :grinning: Just take this one day at a time. Everything will come together

Those first couple weeks for me was a lot of long walks, a lot of Sprite, and fruit, calling people, adjusting back to everything… Letting my body repair, learning to not be so hard on myself. Some of these things might sound weird but this journey is your journey and you’ll find what works for you…

1 Like

Not going to lie. Today is HARD! I am craving a beer so bad!!! I’m not giving in. But it is making me irritable and frustrated…

1 Like

I, too, recently decided to drink and drive after trying to suppress my feelings with alcohol. I totaled my car but thankfully no one got hurt. I am almost three weeks in being sober, from that day, and I feel the same way. I know how it is, too, to be completely overwhelmed but yet you feel numb.

I guess I’m just trying to say is that I understand you and congratulations on taking this first step. It’s hard to deal with feelings but it’s better than drowning them out. You got this! One day at a time.

1 Like

I am so glad you understand how I feel. I have no idea how to process all this. I finally got an appointment at a guidance center today for March 14th. So I know that will help as well. I just want to feel normal again. I hated how I felt when I was constantly drinking.

2 Likes

Welcome! Glad you’re here.

I drink a lot tea/coffee and go for walks. This is my 4th attempt at sobriety. Ima hit 20 weeks tomorrow.

One day at a time. I know it’s not at easy at first, but it gets better.

Stay strong!

1 Like

Well I love coffee so that will not be an issue lol. I’ve also been trying to drink more water to help as well.

1 Like

Of course, just know you’re not alone! We kind of have the same story going on right now, haha. I had to wait about two weeks as well before my first therapy session and it was so hard to wait but the days come and go and I did feel relieved after my first session.

The good thing is that what you’re feeling won’t last forever, and the more you continue to be sober, the better your mood will be. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Its mt first daay please help me out

I feel the same when i dont drink i have so much problems going on with my life with all the stress and anxiety and the only thing to choose to take away stress js alcohol i feel gulty and sick just next morning i wake up…

Its so difficuilt to cut back but will try my best i need your guys help please help me motivate cause we are all in this together…

1 Like