Starting over, again...would love success stories and support

Nicely done- kerp up the great work.
71987634-CA63-4E4F-A70C-4763259B6079

3 Likes

Hi @CaptainBly ! Glad youā€™re here! I am 55, and also started drinking at 14. But I got sober (this time) at 53. You can do it, too! I am right here with you! :two_women_holding_hands:t2::people_hugging::heart: Hope this helpsā€¦Quitting on a Fridayā€¦ šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø - #9 by BirdyP

How are you today?

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™m doing really good today. Iā€™m feeling strong and positive. Itā€™s so nice to be meeting so many people here who have the same or very similar using backgrounds. Iā€™m with my people :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Captain welcome and well done so far! I got sober just with this app so it can be done. (No groups). Are there any hobbies you enjoy or perhaps try a new one?

1 Like

Sounds like you are indeed with your people @CaptainBly ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Strong & Positive is right where we all wanna be! Yay You! :muscle:t2::heart::metal:t2:Rock on!

1 Like

Welcome Rebecca

This is a great place to be if you interact in posts create your own posts to interact with people. If you read threw posts and see other peopleā€™s stories it will motivate you that bit more.

I have been drinking and taken different drugs since I was 15 but last weekend something just didnā€™t sit right with me started getting these really bad tauts and just knew that now I have to stop not for anyone else but for myself.

I canā€™t remember the last time Iā€™ve went 5 days without a drink and a bag if cocaine but right now iam 5 days clean starting into my 6th day and itā€™s all because if the support i receive on here.

I hope everything goes well for you and if you ever need a chat donā€™t be afraid to contact me

YOU GOT THIS :100:

4 Likes

I love to hear that!!! I think this is the place for me. The end of my workday I would always go straight to the store down the street for my wine. Now Iā€™m
thinking about buying some everyday after work. I read here and it gets me home safe. I have never been one for groups either so this is my best chance. I know I can beat this

2 Likes

The other big motivation is my weight. I just found out Iā€™m pre-diabetic. I love to cook so I have become absorbed in finding and testing new recipes and having a lot of fun with it.

1 Like

Wonderful Rebecca. Im also overweight and trying to lose some. I did lose a good 14lb when i stopped the drink though so you are actually off to a flying start. There are also some short ten minute dancey type workouts on YouTube if you are needing to start somewhere with movement too. Bit of fun and take the edge off cravings. Im excited you are on this journey with us

2 Likes

One more thing. I see the grocery store is your hotspot. Can you make a change and order online groceries instead for a while or even go to a different store. I had to avoid those familiar hotspots for a while in the first 6 months x

2 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober. :hugs:
Very sorry what happened to you. Iā€™m glad youā€™re here with us now. This place a lot helps me and I feel less alone. Relapse is early recovery is okay, important is to not give up and I see youā€™re not giving up! For which Iā€™m as well happy. Youā€™re finding help and people who has similar situation. :heartpulse:
Iā€™m here for you and as well others are here for you. :hugs: Together we are stronger!!! :heart:

2 Likes

I feel thereā€™s three pillars to every successful sobriety/Recovery story:

1. Connection. The opposite of addiction is connection. Addiction isolates, builds walls around ourselves, makes us turn inward and away from the world and others. Recovery means finding others, making connections, not going it alone. We need each other, addicts and non addicts alike. And as addicts we need our peers. We need other addicts to connect too and ā€˜normalā€™ people donā€™t understand, thatā€™s impossible.
    I found that connection here. I suffer from social anxiety and this place was perfect for me, real contact, real people, just safe at the same time.

2. Knowledge. We need to know our foe. What is addiction, how do drugs and alcohol effect our body and mind? What does it mean to be addicted? What is Recovery? How do we recover? How do we fight addiction? Etcetera. Plenty of knowledge right here on the forum, thereā€™s also loads of good knowledge out there on how to quit and stay quit. Itā€™s called quit lit. Plenty of podcasts. Websites. Invest! Knowledge is power.

3. Honesty. We need to be ruthlessly honest, with ourselves first and with the rest of the world too. I guess itā€™s kind of self-explanatory but itā€™s not easy to do I tell you. Anyway, always aspire to be honest. Always.

In the four years since Iā€™ve become sober, Iā€™ve invested a lot into going into psychotherapy. To work on the stuff that happened to me as a kid. I started drugging and drinking at 13 years old and hid in substance abuse ever since. Now Iā€™m facing my life. And getting a better life in the process. Hereā€™s my four year sober speech from a couple of days ago (Iā€™m not afraid to blow my own horn a bit these days). Wishing you all success!

8 Likes