Starting over... relapsed again

I am new to the group and looking for support. It’s barely been 24 hours since my last drink. My withdrawal and anxiety is depressing. I’m looking for home remedies or suggestions to help cope.

21 Likes

Thank you :heart:

1 Like

Welcome Lisa! Glad you are here. It’s a great place for support. It has meant so much for me and it hope it can for you too. I hope to see you post, comment, get support and support. Welcome again and all success in your sober journey!

2 Likes

Lots and lots of water! You need to flush out all those toxins.

Daily vitamin, Vitamin D, Vitamin B. Personally, I used apple cider vinegar, turmeric and milk thistle. Additionally, eat healthy and exercise. This should get your body back in balance and help balance your mood. Most importantly, no alcohol! For a small percentage withdraws can be serious! Seek medical attention if you have to!

Quick summary of turmeric

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the support. I’ve tried 3 times this week and failed because of the withdrawal. I appreciate the tips

1 Like

Welcome @Lisa26 :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Good luck, withdrawls are never going to be fun.
Hydrate and don’t be afraid to seek medical help, alcohol withdrawal can cause seizures.
Don’t put yourself in danger trying to tough it out.

1 Like

Welcome! I found that keeping a journal helped me. Writing down all of the crazy thoughts and feels. My emotions were all over the place. When you write these feelings down you are able to go back and look at what went on inside your head. In a head that is like a computer with 687 tabs open this is a huge plus.
For the physical part of withdrawal drink a lot of water, eat healthy food and sleep when you can. Don’t worry, you will get back to normal sleep patterns in a few weeks. Keep posting here. Ask for help, give help, chat with all of us. There is always someone on here. This site is worldwide and it’s fun chatting with drunks from the other side of the planet! Yes, we are drunks. Get that through your head. If we drink we will end up with nothing and no one. We cannot drink…ever, not even one little sip. We cannot drink in moderation. We physically and mentally can’t. We take a drink and BAM! We want to get hammered! So, it is no alcohol or death. It’s really as simple as that.
You can do this. You just have to want a real life more than you want to be a drunk. Read the AA Big Blue Book. You can read it for free on the AA.org website. AA has an online forum but it is not as realaxed as here. There is not as much traffic there as here.
I hope these tips help you like they helped me. Don’t take yourself so seriously. When I started my journal I bought a set of 20 different color fine point markers. I did everyday in a different color. Some days it was one page, other days there were 6 pages. I use the small notebooks that are about 3x5 inches.

9 Likes

Thank you everyone. I’m still struggling. I took melatonin and trazadone before I got in bed. I still haven’t been able to go to sleep. It’s 4:11am where I am. I am so happy I found this group. My family and friends don’t understand

2 Likes

Hi Lisa! Your difficulty with quitting sounds similar to mine. I quit every day so many times! “This is the wanting that has no end.” That’s a quote from ‘Drunk Mom’ by Jowita Bydlowska. Do you have a Kindle? I urge you to get that amazing book along with Allen Carr’s cheesy titled ‘Quit Drinking Without Willpower.’ Carr’s book is what finally got me to quit 567 days ago. I learned that alcohol had tricked me into believing that I couldn’t survive without it, and it was using my own voice in my head to convince me of the lie. I got so mad at alcohol that my anger became my “higher power.” I read the whole book and then read my favorite parts over and over and I read ‘Drunk Mom’ and ‘This Naked Mind’ by Nancy Grace and before I knew it a whole week had gone by without that addictive poison and the worst was behind me. I also visited this amazing TS community multiple times a day, especially when I couldn’t sleep. Get mad at being manipulated, Lisa! Keep your quit! Please visit us often and give us updates. We care and we’ve all been there. Warmest wishes. : )

5 Likes

Thank you so much. I don’t have a kindle but I will find other options when I have the energy. Right now it’s a struggle to even get up to go to the bathroom. Wow that is amazing! 567! I’m struggling trying to make it through day 1. I’ve been drinking water and I had caffeine free detox tea. I just want to cry

3 Likes

I stayed away from coffee also it made me shaky but now I drink coffee. Water a lot of water exercise I stayed away from negative music , people, I prayed a lot attended church, reached out to plenty of people on this blog.

3 Likes

I love the journal part of this app. It helps to write how you feel each day … great to reread to see how far you have come

2 Likes

Quitting is frightening. It feels like losing a close friend, but that’s an illusion created by the changes alcohol does to our brain. You can do this! 567 days isn’t as amazing as 7 days. Get through that first week and it gets easier because new things start filling in the time you used to lose to drinking. I keep extra paperback copies of Allen Carr’s book to give to people I meet who are interested in quitting alcohol (or any addiction ~ the book works for all addictions). Do you have an Amazon wish list? They’re safe and anonymous. I’d be happy to send the book to you. I feel that strongly about its power. Your posts remind me so much of how I felt when I finally had enough of my alcohol addiction but felt trapped and hopeless. You can quit. You really can. Don’t give up. : )

4 Likes

If you’re having that much trouble and medicating yourself, maybe a medical detox is in order.

2 Likes

Glad your here and glad I found this site too because everyone here understands all too well.

1 Like

I just added the paperback to my wishlist. That would be awesome. They also have the audio available I see. Maybe I should start off by trying that since I still can’t sleep. I appreciate everyone’s support

1 Like

Withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous. I suggest medical help first and foremost.

2 Likes

Super! Now, if you’re brave enough ’ ) you have to PM me and send me a link to your wishlist. Consider it an early Christmas gift. Remember, it won’t show me your address so you don’t have to worry about stalking. : )

1 Like

Strong support here in this forum and it helps me to check several times a day to get encouraging word to keep me on track. Thursday is a trigger day because the old me would start thinking about the drinking on the weekend and been only 5 days ( I have tried and failed many times over the year) but my first duty was to stop on a weekend and found this group and really has made it easier to not want the drink. Weather it is drinking drugs food gambling, some where inside all of us there is courage to be better to our self’s and beat what evere addiction you have. Stay Strong!

5 Likes