Starting sober time

Hey guys, im new in this community. I just joined with 5 hours of being sober from booze and weed. I’ve been trying to stay sober with streaks no longer of three days for the past 3 months. I’m tired of embarrassing myself and others. I want to be a better person, i want to offer something better to my family, friends, girlfriend and myself. I’m an alcoholic and I’m ready to start a better life.

16 Likes

Hey! I’m really glad you’re here​:heart: I love that you recognize that you want more for yourself and are a timely looking into how to do that. This site has been an invaluable tool in my recovery. There is a search option in the top right corner that you can use to find topics that are interesting to you (books on recovery, activities for sober people etc etc) there are many great people on here with a wealth of experience. Looking forward to getting to know you!:sunrise:

4 Likes

Big step keep going

2 Likes

Hello friend! Welcome! There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Keep an open mind and an open heart. People will recommend taking further steps to get yourself on the road to recover, including myself. Personally, I did IOP for 4 months and see a therapist and psychiatrist who specialize in addiction and recovery every week. I go to a place called the Center for Psychiatric and Chemical Dependency Services. This has saved my life! If I didn’t have this option i would certainly be going to meetings, and probably will end up going anyway at some point. I’m doing great in my recovery, but I don’t have the face to face sober network most people have.

Sobriety is a great thing, but recovery is the key to keeping your life on track. There are many different people with different types of recovery here. But we all are engaged in some type of recovery plan. So, keep that open mind and commit to whatever form of recovery you decide on. Try different paths of recovery if things aren’t clicking. Never stop moving forward!

4 Likes

Hi, welcome.
This forum has helped me tremendously over the last 3+ months. Lots of information and advice. You will find information on the various programs and tools you can use to help you.
Any questions don’t hesitate to ask, someone’s usually here to help.

3 Likes

Hi there and welcome! This placed helped me find the courage to do things I’ve never done before, I hope it helps you just as much to be here with us! :heart:

4 Likes

Hi there. Welcome!!

You’ve received lots of great responses already. I just want to share what I tell myself everyday.

“Getting Sober is simple, but it sure isn’t easy.”

What that means is all you need to do is to not drink or smoke today. Then do the same tomorrow, and the next day. One day at a time. Simple, right? But it isn’t easy. You’ll have lots of voices (mostly your own) telling you it’s okay, it’s just this one time, you can handle it, etc etc etc. It’s not easy. But you can do it!!!

I guess I have something more. What you should do RIGHT NOW is make a plan for what to do when those voices start. Get working on your toolbox right away. The first thing I put in my toolbox was a letter that I wrote to myself. I was feeling pretty bad at that time and I wanted to make sure I always remembered how I felt so that when I started to feel better (which I did in about 4 days) I wouldn’t be tempted back to booze.

Good luck and keep posting. We’re here to help.

6 Likes

Congrats on making a great decision! My advice would be to read this forum a ton over the next week and look for some solutions to try out when a craving comes, which inevitably will happen. Might take some trial and error, but you will certainly find something useful here.

1 Like

Hello and welcome! :bouquet:
This app helped me big time! I’m here every day since day one. Now I’m 184 days sober.
It’s hard work, but you can do it! We are here to help! So come here often: read, vent, call for help when you need it!
Hope to see you here often :heart:

2 Likes

Welcome! So glad you are here! This app helps tremendously if you want to get sober. Wishing you all the best!

2 Likes

“Getting Sober is simple, but it sure isn’t easy.”
Truer words were never spoken.

2 Likes

Welcome. I am glad you are here. I hope you stay, learn, grow, and share in your journey.

You’ve decided to be better. Now be better. Sober is the foundation. To stay sober you must learn to say “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink, and learn to say “no” to the hardest person to say “no” to…yourself. It really is that simple. Not easy, but simple.

You must become comfortable being uncomfortable. This is foundational to saying “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink.

If you can do this, you will get better at getting better. You will learn strategies and gather tools to defend your sobriety. You may think it’s gotten easier. It hasn’t.

You’ve just grown stronger.

3 Likes

Welcome and congrats! It’ll take some time but trust you will begin to feel better. You’ll also be greatful you’ve made this decision also in time. If I may, use this forum as you would a sponsor, come here when it gets too difficult before throwing in the towel. As @anon12657779 said, someone will be around to talk you back from the edge. Last thing, there will be sacrifices and choices to made. Youll have to be courageous and honest in your decisions. Good luck, be well and be strong…

3 Likes