Stay sober on football sunday

So tomorrow will mark a week for me. I am feeling frustrated, snapped on everyone, my son, my mom and my boyfriend. Its sunday, my boyfriend and i usually go out to watch the games and drink some beer. Ive had 5 people call me asking where we are. Its only the beginning of this and im just reaching out to everyone today. I really dont want to drink but then i ask myself…whats a couple going to hurt? I can do this and not binge. I know i can. But a month from now i will be in the same spot i always end up in. It is so frustrating that alcohol is SO accepted everywhere. We live in indiana and most of everyone just drinks to have fun. I want to have fun but i dont want to ruin this. It sucks to be wired this way. Annoyed and upset at this point.

10 Likes

You understand how it works for folks like us Hayley. It takes time but at some point it no longer sucks. And what seems fun to you now will turn not to be so funny at all, especially not for people like me (and you) who can’t stop once they begin. There are other ways of having fun besides drinking. it might even be still going to watch the game and not drink, even though right now that might be a bridge too far for you. One thing for sure: you’re not alone. Congrats on 6 days of sobriety. That’s big. Keep going. You’re doing great.

6 Likes

I think a week in is where you start feeling the changes, mentally and physically. It sounds fairly normal what you’re going through. It sucks trying to navigate the first weeks but it’s doable. I love football and get it; I don’t miss the beer and what goes along with it.
Hang in there!
It’s a lie you need it to have fun, :wink:

4 Likes

Boy that first week is a killer. The first couple of times I realized I couldn’t do it cold turkey so I tried cutting back until eventually none. I’m at almost a month now. It does get better but for how long it takes can vary from person to person. Just stay the course and it eventually it’s like a blindfold is lifted. Everything becomes interesting all over again.

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. I managed to let the craving pass and im home with my boyfriend and son and now have ZERO regrets. I absolutely could have left and went out tonight and we made the decision to stay home. I couldnt be happier abour that :slight_smile: heres to continuing my journey and climbing uphill!!

7 Likes

@Hayley320

Hello,
In Recovery we are all confronted with difficult situations concerning People, Places & Things. Personally, I had to make the difficult decision to restructure most of my social connections; many people didn’t make the new roster, because Recovery wasn’t a priority for them.

To build this new roster, I regularly attended Narcotics Anonymous meetings which help me cement new social connections!

Today was my first time in a bar (sober date 3/5/22) to watch a Steelers game here in Las Vegas; the Steelers club I found online meet every game and celebrate the fondness for all things Pittsburgh. I was offered alcohol & marijuana, but I responded, “ I chose not to ____ today”. Everyone was a stranger and I was able to set my new normal. In my experience, Setting new normals are more difficult with more defined relationships because of established social norms.

My point: I enjoyed the game, social interaction, food and my Tonic & Lime without feeling awkward or, most importantly, losing my current Recovery! (Oh and the Steelers beat ATL!!!)

@Hayley320
It takes time and effort to exist different, but it possible…Do Not Lose Hope.

2 Likes

Drinking on football Sunday was a very important ritual to me. When I quit drinking, I found out how boring football was to me! (ETA) So many events or pastimes were merely excuses to drink for me.

I don’t miss the booze or the football.

3 Likes

I was at the Raiders vs Chargers game in Las Vegas today.

My favorite thing about the day was being present with my son… watching his eyes light up as he cheered for the Raiders. Watching him scream at the top of his lungs into the deafening roar of the crowd.

It will take time, but you will begin to find joy in the regular everyday things, and also learn to navigate tough times without drowning in drugs or alcohol.

2 Likes

Yaaaaaaaaas you rule! I know that voice well, the one that says, “You can totally just have 1 and stop.” That voice is a LIAR. You will find the fun in the sportsball again. You just need a new sports ritual that celebrates the social bits without the drinking. Or an entirely new fun social event!

3 Likes