Staying free from substance

I have been using cocaine now for 19 years. What started as a few lines has become a everyday use now. I dont drink alcohol to want to use. I lost my dad at a young age, i didn’t realise the damage that caused. Have been trying to get free now for 5 years and keep falling off and using daily. Longest i have been free is 4 months. I feel.in a cycle i cant break free from. I am in a recovery group currently but they are alcohol dependent people, i feel am struggling to make a connection with them. Talking to friends doesnt help me and i allow myself to become isolated and anxious

8 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Mike! This place and its members might be of some help to you. I really hope so. There’s people from all walks of life here, from every corner of the earth, and with any addiction imaginable. Take your time to check us out. Lots of good stuff around and lots of new connections to be made.

As for a face to face recovery group, are there any other possibilities in your neck of the woods? NA might be something. Or SMART Recovery, Or Recovery Dharma. No idea of anything available to you. Wishing you all success for sure. Hope you find some support here. I for sure did! Saved my life no joke. We’re in this together friend.

2 Likes

Hi, yeah i have bern in SMART recovery now for 3 weeks. I was 2 weeks free up till friday just gone. Had a bad week, felt sorry for myself and couldnt snap out or shpuld i aay allowed myself to feel that way. Ive been trying so long now its honeslty tiring. I get a bit anxious in groups so hoping this could be another way of helping myself and who knows maybe others at the same time.

1 Like

I know all about anxiety in groups. That’s why this place has suited me so well.
As to your relapsing: one thing you have to learn is that drugs don’t do anything good for you. Nothing. We buy forgetfulness for a moment, but we don’t forget anything, we just disappear into ourselves and our misery for a little bit. Until we’re sober again, and we remember, and nothing’s better, and everything’s worse, and we go and look for our next fix… It’s time to get of the hamster wheel my friend.

3 Likes

Yep thats exactly how it is. Hoping this app will be the key to helping me break the cycle.

2 Likes

Welcome to this community
Personnally this place helps me…i write here or read everyday and its been life changing for me
Sending you lots of love and positive energy :heart:

1 Like

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Thank you. Am in no doubt ill be calling in advice and gelp when times get tough.

1 Like

Any addiction is a disease. I applaud anyone on the journey.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have u here! My DOC was crack cocaine and this forum has been a HUGE support to help me get the clean time that i have.
There are many people on this site that have various addictions and I found that i can relate to each and every person on here in one way or another, no matter the DOC. Hope that u can relate to others on here too and gain the recovery that u want :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ive spent my entire life beating myself up over many things. Started when i didnt follow in my dads footsteps and serve my country. This had led to a life of regret, hence where the cocaine addiction began at the age of 24 i started taking when i was 22. Thats nearly 20 years of my life and am tired now of it. Ive been at a point in my life now the last 2 years where it feels like the only way am going to be free is to do something stupid and bring pain to others to end my pain. Already today am struggling to stay positive, this i know is only going to lead to me using at some point. I need to break the circle. I need to stay positive bjt when all ive known is how to be negative to myself its hard.