Staying Sober; Party of 1 (Everyone Welcome)

Hi All,

I’ve been here awhile, and I’m wondering how many are going through this alone. I mean truly alone. Not with a spouse or significant other, sober or not. I mean living alone. How are you doing, coping? I’d love to hear positive stories or anyone here that needs help, I want to say, you’re not alone. I can’t be the only one. :hugs:

18 Likes

How are you doing? How are you doing doing it living alone?
You are not the only one. Many here in a similar situation as yours.

4 Likes

You are not alone with situation. I am with you.

6 Likes

Hi! Thanks for asking. Like everyone, it’s one day at a time. Having a dog (Buddy) and cat (Riley) makes me feel not so alone.

5 Likes

When you live alone, no one cares or notices if you F up. That makes it easier or harder? But I think the best part is you’re knowing you’re doing it for the right person. I don’t think you can get sober for someone else without doing it for yourself 1st.

8 Likes

Hmmm, good question. I remember my first weak trials to moderate or abstain from alcohol for a while, my partner back then never supported me. He couldn’t understand. Well it was a long way downhill still for me back then.
In my family we don’t really talk about it for reasons I don’t know and now don’t want to explore anymore. But they know and don’t ask questions or suggest me a drink.
I was lucky that when the decision was made, it was like a click, I was done. Of course with struggles. But in the early days I was just relieved to not having to drink anymore. That was 5 years ago.

12 Likes

If you’re talking about losing your sobriety, this greater community would be interested if you need help. You know the community is here for you and that as a community it may help with any loneliness that you might feel or aloneness that you might feel trying to keep your sobriety. I am very glad that you are back here. We missed you.

7 Likes

To clarify, I am sober. Yes, I’ve relapsed a few times a long the way. I’ve done it all alone. I’m proud of that. And I know being alone, without family or loved ones support, can make it invisible. I want to let everyone know here that’s doing it alone, for yourself, you’re special. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it, I believe that! :hugs: :heart:

11 Likes

@Alisa is right. We are here for you. No matter what. There will always be one who knows what we are going through in a particular situation.
I find myself sometimes not liking the answers I get but that is because I feel vulnerable and all I’d like to have is a hug. A hug.
And when I really feel alone which is much less than during drinking times it helps to read here, to stay open. Often I find myself comparing myself to other and feel jealous for this and that and I forget that I pick only the cherries of their lives. Of each individual one and then compare it with my only one life. :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Hugs are always good!

4 Likes

Glad you’re doing well on your single journey. I’m alone half the time due to husband’s work. So I work and hang out with our dogs and cat.

I can see the challenges but also can think of worse situations for getting sober.

This is a good place to give and receive support and you’re not alone.

6 Likes

My dog Buddy and cat Riley keep me going!

13 Likes

Adorable :star_struck:!

3 Likes

@maxwell hi, I’m kind of alone, but not lonely per say and did the decision to quit drinking alcohol for myself and on my own with help of certain books, and this community. I believe that you have always been living for someone out there, maturing and growing mentally, emotionally and feel hungry for love you deserve. I have few friends, admit need to be a bit more active towards meeting them but we stay in connection via chats,calls. And I’m you know acquiring courage to initiate conversations with woman I like outside, they do like it just…

4 Likes

Recently moved into an apartment and living alone, so not used to all the freedom and loneliness, it was hard at first, i relapsed 2 times, now whenever I get a sudden urge to drink I just go to my grandmothers house for a quick vacation (2-7 days), it’s like a rehab place there for me, good company with my 89 year old grandma who is still full of life, living alone and still taking care of herself and the house, I get some life tips, some stories, and amazing food!
We as humans need other humans, I get depressed if im alone for too long, so found a way to cope with that, I don’t have friends who live near me since all of them were drinkers and not really my friends now that i think about it.

10 Likes

Have you tried sports, running etc? For me doing sport is huge relief and motivation factor. Plus reading books.

4 Likes

This is beautiful. You put a big smile on my face because you made me think of my grandmother and how wonderful she was. She been gone a long time. But she was always kinda my best friend. Treasure that gold. What a great way to start my morning.
:pray::coffee::heart:

5 Likes

I wasn’t alone when I got sober but I may as well been. My husband who’s also an alcoholic continued drinking daily. I felt he was trying to secretly sabotage my sobriety. He said he was supportive but would come home drunk and sneak alcohol to his bedroom. (We stopped sleeping in the same room because we chose separate paths.) What pissed me off more was the fact that he was insulting my intelligence with his sneaky shit. I knew all along but there’s no reasoning with a drunk. Thankfully, I got real support in the rooms of AA and this forum. I honestly believe I would have picked up if it weren’t for the outside support. I had no accountability in my home. But I knew in my heart, I was done, I just needed help.

10 Likes

Today is a good day. Ran to Sam’s to pick up giant food I don’t really need. (I bought a food saver, so I like to shrink wrap portions and freeze).

Buddy and Riley are fed, walked and zonked on the couch with me. We’re going to watch The Mummy on Netflix.

Most days, I really like the quiet and not sharing with another person. Maybe sounds selfish, but if the alternative was being with my ex, I’d take this any day.

Have a happy day! :blush:

9 Likes

I’ve been single for 2+ years now and I gotta tell you, I enjoy it more and more. I don’t think it’s selfish at all. Maybe bc my last relationship was god awful and I had zero support from him during my first attempt. Now I don’t have to worry about anyone elses issues bringing me down. I do have a daughter, but more than half the time I’m home she is not (school/fathers/friends). My job is extremely social and sometimes, during the busy season, it can be mentally draining. Coming home to a quiet, peaceful house, and my 2 cats, helps me recharge. Being able to sit with yourself is something most people have to learn. I think once you do you can get to know yourself better. Be proud and keep doing the damn thing!

9 Likes