Staying Sober with Mental Health Issues

Hey Im newly sober 8 days, went to a withdrawl managenment program here and just got out saturday. Found this app and though id give it a try. I find im struggling alot with my mental health now… Depression has gotten really bad and I have no motivation for anything… I have no intrest in anything but sitting on my ass and watch tv. Which then in turn makes me want to drink because atleast drinking gave me some energy and want to be productive. How does everyone keep their spirits up since being sober and does anyone else also deal with major depressive disorder and have any advice? TIA

9 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

Welcome. Being active here really helps. When depression hits me…i make myself get up and at least go for a walk. Amazing what some manual labor does for me. The depression doesnt disappear…but I can function through it until it passes.

4 Likes

I agree with @Thirdmonkey - exercise, even a gentle walk, is an amazing tonic for the mind and the soul. It’s not a cure all but it certainly helps the world feel brighter in dark moments. Just taking that first step outside is what you need to focus on… your legs will do the rest

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum Kim! Congratulations on ur 8 days of sobriety!
At times i also struggle with my mental health. Some days are better than others. But when i get into a lethargic, depressive state i always do “baby steps” to get me going. Its basically is focusing on 1 small step at a time. For example: my first step may be to get out of bed (thats all id focus on). 2nd step would be to wash my face and brush teeth 3rd step then 4th step etc. It usually feels very forced but i remind myself that laying in front of the tv or laying in bed all day makes me feel worse. I tell myself that i am in full control of what i do and if i want to feel better, i have to do something, no matter how small. Even opening up a window for fresh air or sitting outside on my balcony for some sun really helps (today was one of those days for me). I find that over time, doing these little tasks helps get that motivation going.

1 Like

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I suffer from clinical depression and since getting sober, I lack motivation. I, too, can spend an entire day in bed, in pajamas and TV on just for the noise. Recently, I’ve pushed myself to drink my coffee outside. I sit in the sunshine and watch the birds come to my feeder. I’m helping myself by getting out of the rut, getting the sunshine that my doctor recommended, and being grateful that I don’t want to pick up.

2 Likes

This may not be exactly what you want to hear but I heard myself in your statements. I think I’ve been depressed since childhood. I started drinking early to deal with my awkwardness and only gave that up a year (and a month!) ago. I let myself function at the bare minimum for the first three months. My life was working, sleeping, eating and watching TV or reading. I probably only had a few social days a month.

After three months I started to feel better. I wanted to smile and sought out conversations with people, I wasn’t cheerful but I was changing.

Now I’ve been sober for 13 months. I am still a depressive person. I’m prone to sadness and fatalistic thinking. I would rather stay home and binge TV than leave my house BUT I’m getting better. I have the capacity for joy in my life again. Every day isn’t sunshiny, some are still very hard, but my worst day sober kicks my best day drinking’s ass x1000. It took me 20+ years of drinking to get sober, I am giving myself all the time I need to shed my sadness. It does get better but only if you keep moving forward. :mending_heart:

3 Likes