Step 4 where to start

Does anyone have any good advice on how to start step 4? Where do I even start? What help you guys??

I take it 1,2,3 have been done , step 4 page 64 65 big book how it works maybe your sponsor might help ??

1 Like

Your sponsor can direct you. For me I prayed first for help to be honest and not forget anything. I made sure I was in a quiet place and didnt expect any interruptions. Once I started writing it was non stop. Things came to mind I hadn’t thought of in years.

My advice is put everything down no matter how small you think it is. Also, be honest. Step 4 is to help us so dont hold back.

7 Likes

Yes I have done 1 2 and 3. True on the sponsor. He is help. He tells me to dig deeper but about the time I start digging deeper it surfaces a lot of hurt and sorrow.

2 Likes

Thats normal to feel them feelings. But you need to get it all out to heal . Our secrets keep us sick x

3 Likes

No gain without pain thats what i say to my sponserees,it hurts us when we have to be honest about ourselfs rem the symptons of this step will reveal how sick we were but only doing this will let you continue your journey put fear aside let hope guide the way wish you well

1 Like

I hope you were able to work through Step 4. That’s where I am today. Reading your post, I came to the realization “I won’t recover until I uncover…” to me, I know I need to uncover and dig up all the bad in order to face it, sit with it, share it, then let it go. Thank you for this post.

You are most definitely welcome. When you are working step four there was a lot of hurt and negativity that I caused to the point of nearly relapsing so my sponsor being wise in the ways of sobriety wanted me to acknowledge some positive things to balance out the feelings. It work for me. Just a little advice in case it starts getting overwhelming.

1 Like