Sticking with the Shirley Temple

I used to enjoy trying new mocktails at restaurants. However, on Friday I ordered the passion fruit mojito recommended by my waiter. I instantly worried he hadn’t heard me say mocktail. Then it came looking and tasting like a mojito. I thought if it did have alcohol in it surely I’d be able to taste it right? I continued to take small sips but then he kept asking how my mojito was and I kept thinking I’m not drinking! It was so nerve-wracking and not worth it.
So I’ll stick with my Shirley Temple for now on.

9 Likes

I’m confused. You ordered a passion fruit mojito and it came with alcohol? What I do is when the waiter brings me a drink, I say… “no alcohol in this drink, right?” Then I smell it to be sure. I’ve heard too many ladies at meetings talk about how they were given alcohol by mistake and took a sip before they realized what it was. It happens more often than I thought it would.

8 Likes

This does happen a lot. At work last weekend, a server made drinks for her table and then realized a woman ordered an Arnold Palmer (iced tea/lemonade) but she accidently made a John Daly (iced tea/lemonade/vodka). She goes ‘should I go get it?’ And I’m like ‘YEAH!!! You have to!’ Another time, the beer order came in and our usual NA beer was actually just normal beer and nobody noticed bc the bottle looked identical, except for one small word. That’s why I don’t even mess with those things.

8 Likes

Thank you for speaking up. I wish there were more people like you in the restaurant business. We never know if that one mistake will lead to the demise of that person drinking it. If the waiter/waitress knows they messed up, they should just own it.

5 Likes

No it did not have alcohol in it but it got in my head that it could so i couldn’t drink it. Even if it didn’t.

4 Likes

I think even NA beer still may have small, trace amounts of alcohol in it, if I’m not mistaken.

3 Likes

They do but bread has up 4 times the amount of alcohol

3 Likes

Most do, but I know Heineken 00 is alcohol free. Even tho it was my favorite beer, it’s not something I would buy. One time my friend accidentally bought one and offered it to me bc he was just going to dump it. That was the only NA drink I’ve had in a year. First time in my life that 1 beer was enough :rofl:

5 Likes

That’s what my doctor said but he also told me not to. I need to break the habit.

1 Like

Your share, made me tremble
I had that experience once and it just set me off.

Once, we went to a function and i told them i do not drink. They handed me a drink and i asked the person who handed it to me if in fact it was alcohol free. She said she spilled some of hers into mine but was quite sure mine did not have alcohol in it.
She thought it was funny and could not stop laughing
I was furious, i went back to the counter known as the bar and i asked the bartender to refresh my drink. No alcohol
The lady next me me said that in fact, that lady who carried the drinks to my table did spill, but not spill, but mixed her drink of alcohol into mine

Hmm, so i got back to the table with my fresh non-alcoholic drink and politely left that table and sat somewhere else.

Sobriety is my priority

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear of your nerve-wracking situation.

I have a lot of restaurant experience. Because of the restrictive nature of our state when it comes to alcohol, most of the time if a mixup happens, it is a communication issue of some sort.

However, I have had an employee who gave a girl an original coke when she ordered a diet because “she didn’t look like she needed a diet”. I told him that his job wasn’t to judge the order, but to provide what people ordered, and that he needed to go change the soda out.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people in the food and beverage industry think it is okay to mess with an order based on their own opinions or limited understanding of the situation. Not only is it rude, but it could cause the person serious health issues depending on the “mistake”.

I know some people don’t want to be rude or cause issues, but it is perfectly legitimate to make sure something is what is ordered. This isn’t rude at all and is your right as they paying customer. If something tastes off, set it aside and ask for a replacement. This goes for food too.

4 Likes

Thats why no more mocktails for me!!

1 Like

Honestly I just have water with lemon… Who cares about special beverages? :slight_smile: I’m there to eat or be social

1 Like

This is why I avoid NA alcohol/beer. There’s still a teeny percentage of alcohol in it. And when I did try the 0%, it still gave me a funny feeling in the morning. Never again. I can’t trust it unless it’s plain carbonated water.

3 Likes

I have to admit, that i do drink na beer, but i am no longer odering it at a restaurant, as it is typically served in a glass and not a bottle here, so you are never sure they put in the right one…

4 Likes