Still 100% Powerless

Hi pals! I’m a little over 9 months sober which is so crazy every time I think about it. There is no doubt in my mind that without Gods intervention into my life, I would not be sober today. I asked him to take my obsession for alcohol and he did. I have not obsessed over a drink sense.

I am in no way cured tho. I never will be. I am one drink away from hell. One elbow bend away from that life I left behind.

That is where the word that some people missunderstand comes in. “Powerless”. There was a time that my ego told me I was not powerless over anything in life. That I could control my drinking if I tried. That I could quit if I tried hard enough. Now I understand that I am an alcoholic. There is no such thing as controlled drinking for an alcoholic. I’m not special or unique. Just an alcoholic.

So by definition of the word, I am “powerless” over alcohol. But ONLY IF I DRINK IT!! I have a choice to or not to drink it. I chose not to. I accept that I never can. I’m cool with that. I’m cool that I’m Powerless because that means that I do not have to drink again:)

17 Likes

Congratulations on your sobriety Gabe. It is tough to admit we cannot control our drink, but refreshing to know we are not alone and that we do have the power not to drink. Your quit is very inspirational. Im glad to have found myself here with you.

Such a true and powerful message

Just checkin in on this post. Am I still Powerless??
YUP!! i am still 100% powerless over alcohol and always will be. But only if I take that first drink!!

6 Likes

Agree, 100% I have complete power over one drink, the first drink. If I take it, I have surrendered to alcohol. If I refuse to take it, then it has no power over me.

Just like a vampire, alcohol has no power, unless I give it permission to enter my body. I have the power of “no”, for as long as I choose to exercise it.

Day 172. No retreat. No surrender.

3 Likes