Still getting dreams

I am now 2y3m sober and I had a drinking dream last night. Gah. Will they ever go away completely? I woke up at 4 am a little stressed but I’m glad it was just a dream. It has been a LONG time since I dreamed of drinking so I wonder what triggered it…

4 Likes

Ha, I had one the other day too! Don’t remember having one for a while either.

I’ve been thinking about sobriety, recovery and my approach to it a bit lately, so I put it down to that.

1 Like

My guess? Anxiety over something completely unrelated to drinking. Dreams are often metaphorical in nature. I have had a recurring dream for years. There’s people with bad intentions trying to enter my home through windows and doors, and I am running from room to room using various means to keep them out, but nothing is working like it should. The trigger on the firearm won’t move far enough to cause a discharge. The baseball bat is like foam rubber. The pepper spray just dribbles out. My punches and kicks have little effect. I feel like a helpless failure.

As I said, I’ve had this dream on occasion for as long as I can remember, and I’ve noted that when external events beyond my control are present in my life, I can count on this dream to play in the sleeping theater of my mind. I’ve surmised that stress over things I can’t control manifests itself as my greatest fear: not being able to protect my family from worldly threats.

My advice: Mediate on the goings on in your life, to pinpoint that which gives you anxiety, rather than focusing on drinking in your dreams. If there are positive actions you can take to eliminate or minimize the causes of the anxiety, take them. Most of all, I pray you can once again pass the night peacefully, dreaming of pleasant things.

3 Likes

lord, i hate those dreams. i’m nearly 11 months sober. had one recently and i was chain smoking in it, too. was all around horrible. was so freaking glad to wake up sober and leave that mess in the dream. usually my dreams are triggered by a conversation i’ve had with someone, but i never talk about drinking before those dreams. so maybe its our subconscious trying to reel us back to our addiction, grasping at straws to get us there.

1 Like

Did you ever play call of duty zombies :thinking:

1 Like

No, but I played call of duty Gulf War, 'cept it was for real.

2 Likes

I wish I could pin point 1 or 2 things!! Myself, I’m doing well, but everyone else is struggling. Maybe it’s more my feeling helpless. As the “mom” I want to either “fix” or just “do for” everyone else…but I know I can’t.

But here’s an unusual consistent in all my drinking dreams…I’m always drinking and driving!! (The funny part is the stemmed glass of wine in my cup holder!!). Last night’s dream was the first time I got caught though. I wonder if it’s a feeling of guilt over something that I’m dealing with…but I just don’t know what it is. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

that will do it :grimacing:

Early sobriety i had drinking dreams , but as time went on had dreams but i didnt drink in them .even when a young blond with large thrubneybits offered me one sober dreams will come , keep on dreaming

1 Like

4y7m sober and I had a dream last night.

THIS TIME I actively went to the store to buy a bottle and drank the glass feeling the warmth go down my throat. I even tasted it.

I then put the bottle away and grabbed my phone to reset.

It was only when I thought about telling you all that some guilt came in. Even resetting the days didn’t upset me, just worrying about disappointing others.

Man, the progression of my dreams is unsettling (looking at my history of posts on the topic). It’s a slow progression but a definite progression.

Perhaps it’s time to start finding meetings again.

3 Likes

I know one thing, that coffee, sure tastes good the morning after those dreams. And the realization that it did not happen.

Have you been having cravings that you have come to acting out on besides the dream?

Not cravings per se, but I have been having thoughts of “maybe one day I’ll be able to have a drink again” (thinking of my grandma having her nightly glass of sherry). I have been telling those thoughts to piss off though. But they are there.