Still Plugging Along

I haven’t checked in in a while. I’m still here and sober after six months. I will say I had a beer and a glass of wine a few times. I guess I had to learn the hard way that it just makes things worse. Moderation doesn’t work for me. I just finished reading Allen Carr’s book Quit Drinking. I’m still having cravings though not nearly as bad. I know it’s all physiological by now, so I’m trying to give myself as much of a chance at changing my thoughts as possible. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep moving forward?

4 Likes

Do you have a sobriety community or sober friends? You don’t have to do this alone. I wouldn’t be sober without my sober peeps in real life.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Love and the Fellowship of AA :blush:

Moderation doesn’t work for me either and I have to keep reminding myself. I find quit lit and podcasts helpful. Maybe a new hobby to keep you busy?

2 Likes

Thanks for checking in. No, I don’t. Pretty much everyone around me drinks, not heavy, but they drink.

1 Like

Earliest up this morning is the longest sober , books didnt get me sober im a AA guy have been for over 36 years now saved my life , so maybe try a meeting helped me stay sober wish you well

2 Likes

Thank you McAllister, for sharing your touching story. I never expected such a gift when I posted yesterday. It gives me faith in my path. I love the analogy that sobriety is as long as your arm. I can see how that’s true. I’ve been thinking sobriety is paper thin.

I’m moved by you and your wife opening your house to help others. What a wonderful and generous contribution. There’s no great gift than the gift of sobriety.

Even though I’m still struggling, my life is better in every aspect since I quit drinking.

I’ll hold you in my thoughts and in my heart. And I’ll never forget the sentiment of a back ring. All the best to you, and thanks again for your post.

1 Like

Have you considered AA? I find it to be an amazing program. I went for my drinking and stayed for my thinking.

3 Likes

Thanks Lisa, I attended several AA meetings online, but I didn’t find it helpful. Maybe I should consider an in-person local meeting.

2 Likes

I do both and find in person much more beneficial. I’m able to connect on a personal level. The fellowship before and after the meeting is nothing you can get online in my opinion. It won’t hurt to try, right?

2 Likes