Love and the Fellowship of AA 😊

No matter how old you are or how long that you’ve been in the program Situations can change on time trials and tribulations can reek havoc.

My sponsor gave me a keen piece of advice piece of advice sobriety my sobriety is as long as your arm doesn’t doesn’t matter the age doesn’t matter the longevity That’s all it is sobriety is as long as My arm.

I will tell you quite honestly the hardest time that I ever had trying to stay sober was when my wife passed away. Not only because she meant so much to me But because I had felt that I had nothing to live for after after her passing away.

This is a heartfelt moment for me so try to bear with me. I met my wife in this program over 30 years ago.
We got married In front of the 12 traditions and the 12 steps of our home group. At that time it was unheard of we had to petition a intergroup to allow us to do this.

They happily said yes. So we got married On our 1st year anniversary from the program program because our sponsors told us not to make any major decisions within the 1st year 1st year. So we didn’t we waited. Not only can I say that that was the best years of my life. It was the best 10 years of sobriety that I ever had with a woman so loving and so caring that allowed the fellowship to come into our lives integrate itself into our lives and become a part of us.

We were as closely knit as any Perfect love marriage that you could think of we had it all. We hosted meetings candlelight vigils in our house my wife cooked and made pastry pastries for the meetings In our home.

People would come from all around they would drive an hour an hour an hour and a 1/2 out of their way to come and fellowship with us in our home. I can remember Bill did this with his wife. When I think of those candlelight moments And the glow in my wife’s eyes as she would tell her story to newcomers do newcomers with such zeal and admiration for the program it was astonishing breath taking.

I never remarried after thatI still honor my wife’s memory by wearing a black wedding ring in her honor. If there was a time to drink it was going to be then I was at the jumping-off-place it was like I was starting all over from scratch the only thing I hadn’t done is pick the drink up that’s the only thing I didn’t do because I knew that my wife would not want me to live and turmoil and misery for the rest of my life.

That is where the unity and the love of the fellowship is so important. Because in the end that’s all I had for support that in my higher power is what still drives me to stay sober 30 years later. And that happened on our 10 year anniversary I’ve been in the program when she passed away. It was a very heartfelt moment the only people who knew were on Facebook.

So yes I am living proof that’s still plugging along can work as long as you work it. Lord William I will be celebrating my 31st anniversary of being sober at the end of this month. Not only do I owe it To the love dedication and perseverance of this program but also for the love and dedication and perseverance that I have for my wife. Always remember to thine ownself be true.

17 Likes

What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing.
The love and compassion I get from AA fellowship is like no other. My husband (also in AA) and I are going through some really tough times lately and the fellowship helps keep us positive and grounded.
I’m looking forward to celebrating 31 years with you so please post it.

3 Likes

Thank your for you wonderful kind words and your support. But for the Grace of God go I .

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone For all the likes that I received in regards to this post without the unity of the fellowship and the love and the dedication and perseverance of this program None of this would have been possible without yall’s help.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. The love of the fellowship is all too important. You have to give it away in order to keep it.

I celebrated 31 yrs of sobriety today with my new home group. It was awsome I owe you all a big thank you. For without the love and support of the fellowship and my higher power I wouldn’t have made this far. I remain humble and loved by the fellowship. But for the Grace of God go I.

7 Likes

What an amazing accomplishment! So happy for you. I hope to live long enough and sober enough to have your numbers someday

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. The love and the support and my higher power made all of this possible. I was moved by the genuine love and support that I felt there.

No matter where you go we are all brothers and sisters joined in unity towards our common goal with the love and support on our common journey from which we walk together through that triumphant arch into freedom

1 Like

Beautiful words my friend. Im finding some of that peace and spiritual growth thanks to the fellowship of AA and this forum

1 Like

You hit the nail right on the head spiritual growth is the very essence of living in sobriety.

There is a quote in the very back of the book in the third edition. " I need not to concentrate on so much what needs to be changed in the world as what needs to changed in and my attitudes "

The way that I deal with things like trials and tribulations that come up in my life. In other words where I am at spiritually is directly affected in what the outcome is going to be. If I am in a good foundation and my spititual growth is strong the outcome is good if not then its always bad.
To thyne ownself be true my friend.

1 Like

Fantastic! You’re such an inspiration.

Congratulations James! :partying_face:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. I couldn’t have done it without the love and support of the fellowship. I remain humble after all these years. But for the Grace of God go I

3 Likes

Wow…31 years sober. A generation of victory! That is so inspiring…

1 Like

The victory lies in the steps and the traditions of this program for without it I would truly be lost indeed. To Thine Ownself be true my friend. Thank you for your kind words.

1 Like