Stopping relapses help needed

No thanks necessary just pass it on!

I genuinely want you to stop and I dont even know you!

Its hard for non alcoholics to understand and I too had a lot of resentment toward people who I thought were enabling me. I hated myself for drinking, others for setting me up to, I hated society for letting me do as I wanted, think about that I actually hated the freedom that the world gave me to drink.

I recommend you stay on here with us and keep us posted, for better or for worse. No one here is going to say “Oh she failed she isnt one of us” (quite the opposite)

Call or text some sober friends, your drinking friends wont have any useful advice for you.

1 Like

When you decide you want it so badly nothing or no one will get in your way. Including yourself BC us addicts are so good at getting in the way of ourselves. It will happen have faith

Thank you all - I need this sort of space. I’ve done rehab - detoxed - drink just pulls me back. I have an alcohol support worker but your words today have lifted me because I feel so rubbish - I must hold on to how bad alcohol makes me feel - but thank you. I’m in the UK by the way. Are any of you UK based?

1 Like

Hey Gracie18 I’ve been here so damn many times before. Always wanting to desperately quit and never go back only to wake up hating myself and hungover again. Would you consider a zoom meeting. The AA meetings are 24/7 on there and they are a fantastic place to be?

Or do you want to talk first about how it can help you?

1 Like

Today I’m a bit shaken and have been sick. I haven’t slept much. So I will look at meetings tomorrow. Can I get to the AA zoom meetings from this site?

2 Likes

Hi Gracie,
I’m from the UK too :uk:. I am also here after a number of “relapses”. I find this forum very supportive and you will find there is a lot of wisdom as you navigate your way around.
Everyone who is successful at staying sober has a different way. If AA does not suit you there are various other resources out there worth considering (see below) as this is not something we can always tackle alone. If you are strong enough to deal with the shit around drinking, you are strong enough to get sober, and it is well worth it, as you know.
:pray: :heart:

Thank you - I have used SMART before local - national and international. I have to hold on to how dreadful I feel - again. I’m siping soft drinks and should try a bath when I feel less shakey- I’ve tried anti carving drugs before and they didn’t work for me. I know once I start sinking it escalates and then I end up in a mess - I just can’t drink - I know that but when I’ve had a break my husband then wants a drink and it spirals again. The support here looks fabulous x

Sounds like me. I couldnt do the most basic functions. Sweaty, shakey, the “runs”, smelly, couldnt even reach down and pull up the covers.

Here is a link all you have to do is tap it. Even if you just put it next to you or throw some headphones in and listen while you recover.

3 Likes

aahomegroup.org/#online

You can keep the camera off and listen all you want. Just when setting up the name be sure to choose a name that protects your identity if you don’t want to be known. But really that’s up to you :blush:. I’m here now. Come and join us.

Remember that cravings, no matter how strong, are just feelings. How u act is important. U can let feelings pass, and cravings will subside if u give it time, research says so. Also remember the first drink is the most important, say no to that one, and u say no to all the othes that inevitably follow.

1 Like

30 days in rehab helped me put the drink down. I’ve spent the last 3 years in AA learning how to keep the drink down.

1 Like

Yep I am. Where you from?

Only thing that stopped me from drinking was going to AA and putting the work in.

The hardest thing for me was removing the mental obsession.

If you need any support or have questions put them on this thread :grinning:

Thank you all. I did an online AA meeting today. Thanks for the link and invite. I’m feeling rough today. Alcohol is such an evil thing. I will get over this but I am hoping things like this group will help me stay sober. Thank you all for the help and advice

4 Likes

Now that you have been able to shape your motivation into a plan and a program, you might want to consider disulfiram (Antabuse). It provided me with a level of confidence that I would not drink each day I took my dose. It’s not a recovery plan itself, but another tool to use.

1 Like

Maybe talk to you Doctor. Alcohol detox can be dangerous.

Thank you everyone - much better now, I’m nearly 24hours since my lapse. I’ve kept fluids down since mid morning and am just eating a small melon salad and I think I can manage a yogurt as well. I’ve had a shower and attended an online AA meeting today. Just picking up all your messages has really helped. I’m a bit shaky but I’m hoping to feel better tomorrow. I will keep on here to help avoid further lapses. I really want sobriety but I know I need to reach out when I’m struggling xx

5 Likes

Hi, it’s good that you’ve come to this site, we all need some help from time to time.
If I can make one suggestion, it would be to pick up the “Stop Drinking” book by Alan Carr (I’m reasonably certain about the spelling of his name), you can download it from Amazon for probably less the £5. Lots of good information in there.
One of the things that I got from that book, is the realisation that doing without alcohol is not DEPRIVING yourself of anything, but rather FREEING yourself from the talons of an industry that has spread misery and illness for millennia. I’m paraphrasing a bit, but it’s an idea that worth retaining, I think.
You can do it, we all can.

1 Like

Thank you so much - I have the book. I’ve just lost my way again. Anyway 1 day sober now and I will carry on. The support here has been so good today
I very grateful.

Three simple words: JUST DONT DRINK

welcome gracie. How are you doing now, 2 days in? hope you found some support in the advice above and kept it up. Here we can learn from others to see other thoughts and behaviours to know how to do things differently in order get a different result. In some situations our best thinking did not get us to good results. Hang in there!