Story About Thomas

Hello everybody.

I needed to share somewhere a story of my collegue Thomas.

First off. I dont know Thomas too well, because I dont know him long enough.
Thomas called to our company about two months ago and asked if there was a vacancy for truck drivers. As most of the transport companies we are in constant lack of drivers, so as he had all the permits and experiences required we hired him.
But this guys face… You could literally read from his face that life has been rough on him. The storms he had survived had written a lot all over his face

Im the logistics manager so my job is to plan who takes what trailer and goes where and returns with what etc.

First month Thomas did domestic trips and was doing well, and was asking if we can also send him abroad once a week (ferry benefits for truckers) So I sent him to Finland on 14th of december. Long story short he drank there for 4 days and finally I just sent another driver there to get the goods delivered and truck back home.

21st of december he was standing in my office shaking, eyes locked on the floor, and telling me how sorry he was about what had happened.

I told him that I was an alcoholic aswell. I told him I know what he is going thru and I can very well relate to being him at this point. I also told him, that he is powerless over alcohol, if he will continue this lifestyle he will end up in a mental institutsioon, jail or dead. I told him to come and seek sobriety from AA. I told him About my experiences and I said that we are on his side, we dont hate him for what has happened, we want to help him (as our company)

So we gave him a day off to clean his truck and put him back on domestic route we call “burger round” haul burgers from meat factory to chainmarket warehouses and empty racks back to meat factory.

Yesterday a security quard pulled him over at the meat factory gate with a suspection of alcohol abuse. And of course he was drunk. So we send a sober driver to bring the truck back to our yard. Thomas told he will sleep it off in the truckcabin.

He didnt.
He took his own car and drove home… only that he didnt make it home, he made it pretty far, but I feel that he had lost his soul before already, or his soul wasnt watched over anymore. He ended up head to head collision on the road with another car. And he died.

And I feel like it was not his fault, that he couldnt stay sober. I really hope he is better there.

I was looking at this picture from local news web yesterday, just trying to figure out what make and model car it was, I didnt know then it was Thomases volkswagen.

And this is one more good reason for me to stay the f sober.

26 Likes

Wow, a tough and stark reminder of our illness. God rest his soul.

6 Likes

Omg… wow. Just wow. I wish he would’ve gotten recovery before that happened.

1 Like

Sad lesson for us all.

2 Likes

People never think this will happen to them. But the reality is that the next time any of us pick up a drink or drug this very well could be us.

8 Likes

That’s so true!!! Thats why I don’t think it HAS to be necessary to hit a rock bottom to get clean. You don’t have to lose everything to get clean. It can happen… and reality is, is that it very well is likely to happen if we don’t get clean and sober. Jails, institutions and death. In this very sad case it was death :frowning:

3 Likes

Wow what a reminder what this disease does to us jail’s I situation or death! Sorry for your loss

1 Like

Very sad! Too bad he couldn’t find sobriety. We’re very lucky to have found the gift of desperation before it was too late. Unfortunately, what happened to him could happen to anyone of us if we go back :confused:

2 Likes

You did try to help. You saw all the red flags.

I hope that you don’t feel any guilt. Because there is no need.

I’m so sorry for your and his family’s loss. Stay strong in your quit.

3 Likes

Goosebumps and :cry:. Could have been me not to long ago… R.I.P. Thomas :candle:

4 Likes

I dont feel any guilt, of course there are these sparks of thoughts that maybe if had taken him strait to the rooms… etc but I didnt and it doesnt matter today anymore.

Today ist just a perfect book example what happens if you deep in your hart know that what you do is wrong, all the voices tell you to quit/stop/pause and you ignore everything an then your soul sees a crack in a matrix and escapses the rocky river you had gotten your life to become.

People do not deserve to die bleeded out in a snow on a cold highway.

I pray his soul is saved!

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this story. Very powerful.

2 Likes

As sorry as I am for Thomas, I just pray he did not kill another person in his head-on collision.

2 Likes

Fortunately other driver was not injured at all. Paramedics checked him at the scene and he was sent home.

9 Likes

Oh yeah, I will be sharing this story in the near future quite a lot I think. Atm I managed to catch this fashion virus, So Im quaranteened untilt 5th of january.

2 Likes

@Rosenberg Get well soon!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I already read it this morning, it moved me, had to think about it for a bit. You have been very kind to him, trying to help. In many places he would have been fired first incident. I’m glad to read the other driver was fairly ok, must be shocking and traumatic nonetheless.
I’ve been driving drunk so many times. I resent myself for risking other people’s lives. Strange how drinking and driving was always a red line i wouldn’t cross, until i did it once with a few beers. Than i did it with some more until it became just normal to get wasted and drive and i didn’t care anymore. Now i’m full of regret of this behavior.

4 Likes

OMG! What a tragic story. I had tears in my eyes when l read it. One, because of the kindness and compassion you showed Thomas even though he let you down more than once or twice.Two,because l didn’t think that your share was going to end in that terrible way.And three, because that could have been me so many times over! As Bart said so accurately, you don’t start out thinking that drink driving is ok.Somewhere along the way toward insanity though, it starts becoming acceptable,and then at the end,the norm! I prided myself on my good driving record-30 years of no serious accidents or DUI. One night 17 months ago,after consuming a bottle of white wine on an empty stomach,l left my driveway in my car and drove down the highway at 1am. I thank God now that l was pulled over soon after at a COVID-19 border checkpoint by Police,before injuring or killing myself or worse,some innocent person/s.For a long time,l felt sorry for myself-losing my license for nearly a year and a half/ my husband selling my car/ having to take PT to work/ having to tell family & friends why l didn’t drive/ having to go to court/ having to undertake a DD behaviour change course/ installing an interlock device,etc. l think it is partially why l have not been able to maintain sobriety since-the repercussions of what l have done have been hard to face each day(…and believe me,if you get caught drink/drug driving,you will be reminded of it EVERY SINGLE DAY in some way thereafter). The shame and guilt attached to my actions have been excruciating to sit with at times.But l am finally ready to face up to my feelings in their rawest form…sober.l think it will help me process them and hopefully move forward.l know l am a good person.l have just done some really shitty things whilst drinking.lt really saddens me to think that Thomas was not as lucky as me :cry: lf anyone out there is reading this and still drink/drug driving,please,please,please don’t wait till you are me or Thomas! Get help NOW, or get OUT of the driver’s seat :pray: Sorry my share was so long,but this topic is very close to my heart nowadays.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, such a grim reminder of the outcome we face when we’re trudging the waters. Like many have said could be anyone of us, thankfully he didnt severely hurt anyone else, God rest his soul. Just kind of already know the outcome of the story, if i go back to drinking i know im no exception to the rule.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing :pray:
Reminds me why I never drank and drove, grateful I didn’t cross this line.