Strange dreams & withdrawal

I’ve just had the strangest, most realistic, destressing dream. I’m 15 days into sobriety & 14 hours into given up the cigs. I suppose it doesn’t really matter which one of effecting my dreams, probably both. I dream a lot & enjoy that but this one felt too real. Is this normal? If so, how long does this last. I don’t feel rested at all after that. My heart was pounding when I woke up.
Sinopsis of my dream: I was hurt, I fell & banged my head. I was crying from pain, upset about my relationship with my mother, pleading for someone to help but I couldn’t talk. The people in my dream I know in real life & they just left me lying there without helping (these people would move mountains to help anyone in real life)

1 Like

Very normal. Don’t let it stress you out. Congrats on 15. That’s a really big deal. It gets better.

1 Like

Thank you. I woke up in a bit of a panic. I know it was only a dream but it was so realistic.

It’s basically caused by the brain repairing itsself. REM sleep is very important and is massively diminished by alcohol and drugs. So the brain is busy catching up on REM sleep and this brings frequent and vivid dreams.

Mine are especially creepy, because 90% of my dreams are about fire in our house and I always wake up in panic. But it will pass! Knowing that my brain needs it now definitely helps.

2 Likes

I almost always dream which is why I thought my REM sleep was fine but clearly not lol. There were a couple of creepy incidents in the dream that I decided not to add. I don’t want to creep everyone out lol.

Very normal, especially during the first month or so. Takes about a year for our brains to “rewire” itself says the medical world. Most of us should notice improvements every 30 days or so. Good things are in your future. Keep it up!

1 Like

Little tip: Massage helps with the anxiety you may be experiencing. It also give you something to look forward to which I found helpful. It’s a little reward for yourself as you start to enjoy the sober life. Plus, it’s kind of free in a way if you think about all of the money you’re saving being sober. :yum:

1 Like

I think I’ll book one. I’ve been buying myself new clothes this last couple of weeks, spending my wine money on things I can enjoy for more than one night :blush: New me, new look… and it does feel like free clothes :rofl:

2 Likes

Nice! You may find you’ll need even more clothes soon as weight loss is common with sobriety. Another bonus!

1 Like

Haha looking forward to that :blush:

I use to have using dreams alot when i was detoxing, and it was terrifying how real it seemed the sence of using, impending doom, situations id be put in were so real id wake in sweaty sheets heart beating out my chess like i was going to have a heart attack. But the longer that im sober the hard wiring in my brain seems to differentiate reality from the fantasy world and my state of fear is based in fact now rather than fiction or a false belief of what id dream was happening. Im not totally better but i am well enough to know that drugs an alcohol will led to my demise.

Yes. This question comes up atleast once a month. Use the magnify glass at the top and you’ll find lots of responses.

This varies from person to person. I’m 22 months into sobriety and had one recently. I know people that have 20+ years that still experience them.

weight loss??? I’m doing the wrong program then, I blamed my other half for shrinking my clothes and tommorow I’m going to buy some bigger pants bc they are cutting the blood supply off to my legs.