Struggle street

Hey gang.

The other day i hit 400 days sober and to tell the truth its the first time its gotten hard for me to stay Sober.

Just the enormity of NEVER AGAIN i think has just hit me.
Booze used to be my instant gratification, now im not sure where to turn for the same instant result.

I always feel better in the morning for having not drunk, bit dont know what to do im the moment for a similar instantly gratifying relif. Any suggestions or ideas for instant rewards to yourself or me from drinking?

5 Likes

It’s not gratification tho is it?
Like— we’re trained to think it is, because it’s marketed as a treat, it as this amazing thing in its shimmery packaging and it’s -oh-so-delightful-microbrewery packaging… But really it’s just s polished turd.

Cigarettes used to be the same a few years ago, sold as glamorous, fashionable or fun. They aren’t, they stink and they give you cancer. Wow.

So yeah, you can rise above what the adverts are telling you, or what the packaging is telling you, or what society has been brainwashed into telling you… It’s not gratification, it’s a poison that will stay you down and ultimately control you and make you feel like shit. That’s not gratification.

If you want gratification, take up a new hobby, like kayaking, or fishing, or golf or walking at dawn, anything. That is true gratification. Fuck alcohol.

5 Likes

Ive been preoccupied with work… (I work in the film industry)
But im now between contracts and have more time to myself.

Have a look at this topic Resources for our recovery. It’s a great review of the many different ways we get and stay sober.

1 Like