Struggling Alcohol

I’m really having a problem getting past 2 days. I really enjoy drinking. The 3 day - months long benders aren’t good for my work or mind.

6 Likes

Welcome!

I think a lot of us alcoholics enjoyed drinking, otherwise we wouldn’t do it. That was true for me. In the end of my drinking career though, it wasn’t drinking that I enjoyed, it was the fading from responsibility, duty; existence. I found myself hiding in the garage, gulping down luke warm IPA’s and malt liquor, so I could fade away. It was a pretty sad existence; guess that’s why I felt I needed to.

Anyhow, my desire for living grew stronger and I quit.

So, how about you? What does drinking bring you that sobriety can’t?

7 Likes

Welcome! I also really enjoyed drinking wine, and could barely make it a day off. I found books by Alan Carr and William Porter totally re-framed my thinking. It still takes work from there but they helped loads. Others do AA or other meetings.

All the ex drinkers here really loved alcohol, but I would say most now see that alcohol really doesn’t add any value. You can be like that too, honestly.

7 Likes

I start feeling better and want to drink again. It makes me enjoy things easier. It’s a cycle for me.

1 Like

I just enjoy everything more.Typically I don’t want to do anything but with drinking I feel better about myself at the time and enjoy the peace I create in my mind.

2 Likes

I enjoyed drinking and would binge 2 to 3 times per week. Day 14 here and I’m enjoying life without hangovers and regret much more.

5 Likes

I totally get that.

I found that when the hangover is the only motivation to quit, you will only be motivated when you’re hungover.

I was in this cycle for years. It wasn’t until I found other things to motivate me to quit, like my health. I was slowing killing myself and it was becoming apparent.

Besides just feeling bad after drinking, anything else that makes you want to quit?

3 Likes

Same for me. I was avoiding everything, especially grief over my mother passing. Why be a good husband and father who has to work through the grief of the death of my mother, when I can drink myself into unconsciousness every night? Why spend time with my family on weekends, when that requires my mental and emotional presence? I can drink until I become an emotional zombie.

Nah…no more. I won’t drink, because I don’t drink. I am a non-drinker now. One of the best choices I’ve ever made. No retreat. No surrender.

6 Likes

For me, it’s about more than avoiding a hangover - but sobriety definitely helps with work and my life in general. It’s really about my overall health and being more present with in my relationships.

2 Likes

I do get that, but I am trying now to get in touch with the person before I started drinking. William Porter points out that children don’t need alcohol to enjoy themselves, they just live in the moment, and that really reasonated with me. It takes a little adjustment, and initially the evenings can feel a little off, but now I absolutely love my sober evenings. It is such a treat to take time for myself, and waking up the morning after never gets old.

Also, health! I am reaching the age when you notice a big difference between those who are looking after themselves and those who aren’t. It won’t be long before those lifestyle choices mean more than just appearance or health niggles, but the actual difference between a full life and disability or death.

1 Like