Struggling Day 13

I am really struggling today. Had an awful day at work. Come home to an untidy house. Just feel really get up. And can’t stop thinking about how much I want to drink. I want to drink to calm down, chill out, forget.

3 Likes

Some days are harder than others. This is a day you’ll have to either 1) take a deep breath and tackle it or 2) say f* the darn house, I’m doing something for me! Maybe go shopping? Get a haircut? Manicure? 3rd option, drinking, is no longer an option. It won’t help anyways.

2 Likes

I’m struggling today too on day 12. It’s Friday night and I’m tired and fed up. A few years back we used to go out every Friday and Saturday night and have a real laugh with friends but now we just stay in and watch telly :frowning: the thing is if I do go out I just want to come home after an hour or so anyway. Every program on the telly people always reach for a bottle of something at a stressful time
I hope there is a life outside of alcohol

2 Likes

I’m on day 21. Everytime I want a drink. I try to think about the whole process. Yes the drink bit sounds nice but then I think about how I would feel the next morning. Even if I had one which, I wouldnt and rarely did. I would feel that same sense of regret and disgust with myself for giving in again and getting stuck in that same old destructive cycle. @NewMe84 @Willow No matter what crap your going through feel proud that your choosing not to drink today. I think anyone who is achieving that is awesome xxx

2 Likes

One of the things I found helpful was having a list of how I wanted to live my life and what I would gain by not drinking …I keep it on my phone and referred to it a lot. I also tried to be physically active and napped a lot in the early days…anything to distract myself…plus, I indulged my sweet tooth.

Here is some of my list…

No hangovers ever!!

Treating husband with respect and no drunk fighting

Self respect gets a major boost

No more internal conflict about drinking and if/how can I cut down or stop

Restful restorative uninterrupted sleep!!!

Major pride in myself and all that I have and can accomplish

A sense of peace and calm every day

No more embarrassment and shame because of my behavior

Forgiving myself for past mistakes and terrible judgement

No wondering what I did or how I hurt husband or others while drunk

No treating people I love, including myself, poorly while drunk

No drunk driving and possibly hurting self or others or jail

No upset stomach from drinking

No anxiety and near constant agitation when hungover

No dark suicidal thoughts

No shame around neighbors if I was loud and yelling or loud music

No blackouts ever

No overwhelming shame at my behavior

No oversharing with strangers while drunk or making plans I will need to cancel

Not having to check my phone in the middle of the night to delete social media posts - no drunk texting/emails/posts/calls

Not be bloated and puffy and look haggard

Clear skin and eyes

Major pride in myself and a boost in self esteem

No hangovers ever again

No more excuses or lies

Peace of mind

8 Likes

Hold Strong @NewMe84!

I could literally just copy and paste your list it is so similar to mine!

1 Like

Thank you guys. I stayed strong. And feel great.
I am not sleeping well. I’ve had dreams about drinking 3 nights in a row! And keep waking up super early. 5am today, on a Saturday :astonished:. Anyone else had these issues.
I’m taking the positives from it:
I get to make the most of the day
I’m in bed early as I’m so tired limiting my temptation
Maybe it’s someone up there giving me a helping hand?!

1 Like

Yes, sleeping issues are very common in the early days…as is irritability, overwhrlming tiredness, a sweet tooth and body aches…among other things. Your body is healing and it takes time.

It DOES get better, way better and cravings easier to deal with. Your body gets back to a healthy place…which is pretty awesome. Give yourself time, plenty of rest and water, physical activity and find some hobbies to occupy you whrn your mind gets tricky…puzzles, long walks or running, cleaning closets, something more exotic…but something to help change your go to habit when bored or stressed. You can do this.

1 Like