Struggling, Need some advice :(

I hit my 1 year sober date May 07th of this year! but tell me why it has been so rough these last couple of days? I thought it was supposed to get easier the longer you have been sober :frowning: but i just feel so blah and like i wanna drink, my anxiety hasn’t been the best i am going to probably have to up my dose of sertraline again. Just feeling like wtf am i fighting for if i still am feeling anxious some days and i still cant leave my house… Just need some reassurance or advice i really don’t wanna go back to day 1

11 Likes

Hi Alex congratulations on one year that is truly a huge achievement. I am on 5 months and also having a few odd days. I was just coming here to ask advice and saw your post too . Do you think possibly it’s complacency now we are far in, or that we forget or get bored? I’m wondering if it’s the weather too with summer and season change could it be a trigger. All I can think is this too shall pass and it might just be a phase. Having a good moan is helpful too. I actually just read the other ladies post on here about just finding out she has early liver failure. It was a good reminder for me to take my sobriety seriously. X

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words, i definitely have people to talk to about this but nobody that really understands how hard it is being sober. And then i remembered this amazing app/group and i had to come on and get my feelings out and advice from people who understand :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply! :two_hearts: I definitely think that is apart of it, the warmer weather seeing everyone posting about day drinking and boat rides etc, makes me feel like i am going to be missing out on so much. But i know i cant have just a few and be done. It always was drink until i blacked out, and my last time before i got sober i almost died i had a .300 BAC level and was unresponsive. I don’t wanna put myself or my family through that again. We got this!!

7 Likes

We have got this. I’m the same as you I can’t just have one either so it would end up getting messy very fast for both of us, possibly with one of us ending up on a mortuary slab and not to mention the anxiety through the roof tomorrow when we wake up. They never show that in fancy boat adverts do they. :rofl: I think our addictive brains trick us into thinking we’re missing out on something… social media helps with that too. We’re not really. It will pass its just a few crappy days, but I think we can help it pass too by not letting our addiction monster punish us with the thoughts. It’s never ever ok for us to have just one, we have to accept that.

3 Likes

Most definitely don’t have to go back to day 1. All you have to do is get through today. I notice it comes in waves and it always passes. I understand the anxiety and worries but if your like me you are way to hard on yourself … you made it this far and you can get through today. Stay busy . Stick to your routines no mater what … you did a awesome thing and that is reaching out before not after … you got this . And I would like to say thank you for your post and welcome to talking sober . This is a great community and can be a awesome tool for your recovery

5 Likes

Hi Alexandria,

It’s actually odd, I’ll hit 2 years next month and I still struggle through urges. Part of me thinks it’s the addictive side of me saying I’m free and cured from the curse and I can drink and use responsibly, even though I can’t.

The anxiety can be just life on life’s terms kicking at you, maybe your meds not being effective, or just that nagging thing that’s been itching at you. Worse case scenario talk to your doctor, maybe therapy? Welcome. Aboard

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Like others have said, sometimes hitting milestones can mess with your head. The thing is that all emotions are transitory. Try to occupy yourself until it passes. Perhaps take some time to remember the most difficult times you had when drinking that made you think, “I can’t do this anymore.” Close your eyes and really try to relive those moments and recall the emotions you experienced as if they are happening now.

This can kick your resolve into high gear as you experience the feelings of shame, depression, anger, or whatever those feelings were. It’s been a year since you have experienced them and sometimes time fades those feelings into a distant memory–and we are okay with that because those emotions felt horrible. You don’t want to feel them again. Ever. Which is why it’s better to dredge them up from the depths of hell as a reminder that your good memories of drinking are just a mirage, rather than experiencing them first hand again.

Hang in there. You can do this.

3 Likes

Welcome and big huge congratulations on your 1 year of freedom Alexandria. I got over 2 years now. And lately, with my move and this trip I’m presently taking, my anxiety and stress level is through the roof. I been going to some meetings, meditating. And this morning doing my gratitude list and letting it all out right here on my favorite thread, the gratitude thread. Daily Gratitude List. Gratitude The Air Of Recovery
I got so much to be grateful for when I’m sober. It’s not worth drinking over. And I was even thinking a drink might take the edge off. I haven’t got another day 1 in me. Because 1 drink is too many for me. I had to break it down to one moment at a time this morning. Thinking about ODAAT was even too much for me.
Have a good read around. There’s lots of great support here from a bunch of wonderful sober people that understand. Join in when your comfortable.
:pray::purple_heart::cactus:

6 Likes

Thank you all SO much for the responses i am overwhelmed (in a good way lol) with all the wonderful words of advice and tips to really remember why i am doing this in the first place. I know if i were to drink it would be a temporary bandaid and it wouldn’t be ripping off because id keep going and going etc… Just so thankful and blessed to have amazing people on here that i don’t even know give such lovely guidance and comfort :two_hearts::two_hearts:

6 Likes

@Alexandranicole you are doing such a great job! I get a little seasonal depression but oddly it hits me in the summer every year. I think it’s the pressure to be outside and take amazing vacations and do all the things with a smile. Ride it out, up the meds if needed and keep reaching out. This too shall pass. Keep going. :heart:

3 Likes

Wow 1 year I can only imagine. I’m 43 days in and slowly forgetting how bad the anxiety and anxious and horrible thoughts were the first few days. Try and fight thru the urges. Goodluck.

5 Likes

Congrats on 43 days sober! That is amazing! That is definitely helping me stay sober as well as that first month of sobriety definitely kicked my ass as far as anxiety goes and i definitely do not wanna go through that again! You got this as well! Keep going strong :two_hearts:

Thank you for posting this. I’m almost to my 30 days and reading the replays honestly gave me such a smile that i needed. Thank you again

3 Likes