Struggling to detox

Hello,
This is not an easy message to send but I feel like I need support and advice. During the course of the pandemic I developed a chemical dependence to alcohol. I’ve tried a few times to get sober and start going through terrible withdrawal (shakes/tremors, chills, hypertension, nausea, etc). I don’t know what to do and my fiancee says we need to taper off or we could have heart attacks or seizures which of course makes me more anxious and concerned. Do you have any advice or suggestions for what I should do?

I would get into detox at a medical center. I know this can seem pretty intense, but people check into detoxes every day. Alcohol withdrawal is challenging and can be dangerous. Bite the bullet and do a medically supervised detox.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m hold with my insurance right now to get a list of providers. I’m literally shaking because I’m so nervous.

2 Likes

Hi! I had the same physical addiction, then went through the terrible withdrawal at home, but I was lucky, not smart, and do not recommend. 3 weeks later I am fine and sober. Best of luck to you.

2 Likes

Considering the withdrawal symptoms you have I advise too to detox under supervision. I did detox in the past by myself, but it can be dangerous (I got bullied by the doctor who found out I did it by myself).

Stay strong and good you’re here and are already checking were to go.

2 Likes

It is definitely worth calling your primary care and explaining the symptoms so they can help you as well; I did the same and luckily my withdrawal was manageable enough to do at home with the assistance of prescribed medication to help with the tremors and prevent seizures. Of course, everyone is different but absolutely seek medical attention regardless. It will relieve the panic you may be feeling as well. You got this, it gets better.

2 Likes

I totally agree with everyone. I’m 23 days sober after 35 years of drinking heavily. Going to detox was the best thing I did to jump start, with the medical staff to help, me to get on the road to sobriety. Be strong. We are all in this together and are here to help each other.

5 Likes