Struggling today -

Struggling today. 20 days with no alcohol and feeling down. I have always dealt with anxiety and depression. I had hopes that as time passed it would get easier and it’s not so far. I get discouraged when I read a post that the feelings never go away and it’s a daily battle. Just needing some help today.

7 Likes

Congrats on your 20 days. It’s hard work. I had many ups and downs. Many depressive states as well. That’s what happened when I started to feel my feelings again. There is also some good times in there too. I like to focus on what I’m grateful for. Practicing gratitude is a great tool to battle anxiety and depression. I actually retrained my brain on the gratitude thread. Writing it and reading it actively every single day. C’mon over and take a look if you like. Lots of great people over here. We know what you’re going through.

Pull up a seat. Start writing what your grateful for.
Sobriety takes work.
And it’s worth it.
So are you.
:pray:t2::heart:

7 Likes

Nice one making 20 days. That takes true courage. Welcome to feeling all the feels now that alcohol isn’t numbing them. It’s difficult but worth the challenge. Keep checking in here and read stories from people with similar stories. Welcome aboard!

4 Likes

Oh, I am sorry that today is a struggle! You know, it’s true that we actually have to feel our feelings once we stop numbing them, but - it’s not just the hard ones we feel. We get to actually feel the good ones, too! And they’re so much better than any kind of high or buzz. Trust that.

Just trust that what you’re feeling now will move through you, if you let it. Like clouds in the sky. The blue sky is always there, behind the clouds, and so too are better days.
20 days is a lot to be proud of.
Waking up on Day 21 without a hangover, shame, and remorse will feel pretty fine too. :orange_heart:

8 Likes

So glad you’re here and a big hug for your 20 beautiful days to boot!

Always dealt with anxiety/depression you say, well, drinking certainly wasn’t the answer or you’d be fixed! See drinking isn’t the problem, our thinking is. Now that we are clear minded we can take action & do things (life) differently.

When we change our approach to situations, how we react to things, let things go that we know that we have no control over it makes this a lot softer a ride. Stick with us and others who are free from the drink/drug obsession and life simply gets brighter.

6 Likes

How are you today?

1 Like