Stuck in a rut!

Hi
Totally new to this, but Its quite clear to me I’m struggling with alcohol I only drink once a week and it’s always in the house and my problem is i literally don’t know when to stop! Its affecting me mentally and physically and it needs to stop! I’ve being trying to quit for some time but as soon as Friday rolls around its like something switches in me and I just go to old routine :frowning: any advice or tips on how to get me through my first weekend would be great! Also hope this is how this works :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Just keep busy when you start thinking about it go for a walk

1 Like

Get it out of the house. If you’re trying to remain sober throw it out.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice guys I’m gona take every day as it comes and hopefully I take your advice and listens to peoples story on here and hopefully itl help me break the cycle :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Oh that Friday feeling got to me every week… I was so positive all week while I felt like shit that I wouldn’t drink or drug again ! 20 years later I finally got worse then ever it’s a slow progress but I went from a weekend bender to mid week then most days it took over my life x please if u do feel u have a problem get it sorted before its too late x

1 Like

Atm I only drink once a week but my problem is it doesn’t just stop at a few I keep going until I’m like out of it. I’m hoping I can get it under control and my main goal is to be able to go a few weeks in between and not have to have a drink every Friday and also stop drinking in the house! That’s my biggie but yeah hopefully I can get it under control :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hi Shannon. Changing routines is hard. Have you tried something else on a Friday? Like something physical? MMA or running?

Seen you’re from Sheffield I’m not far so know it well. How about ice skating or something?

1 Like

I’m in the exact same boat, but I drink Saturday and Sundays in my house. Habitat’s are hard to break, I know first hand. So last monday I made upcoming weekend plans with my family that I cant back out of. I might not be in the best mood, but it will keep me from drinking and this Monday will be so much better than the previous. Not sur eif this is option for you, but I think getting out of the house is a positive thing.

1 Like

first weekend, and those following, are tough. my advice would be to keep busy and have a plan! if you can touch base with a friend or relative to hold accountability that would be really nice to have. someone whom you can call and be honest with. but plan lots of fun sober activities. and try a meeting. if an in-person is too much for you, try the website ‘in the rooms’ for an online meeting. x

This isn’t possible for many, but does alcohol always have to be in the house? Any way you can get rid of it and let others in the house know your concerns? The few weeks I focused on self-care, supplements, skin care products, resting, etc. I spent a lot of time reading threads on this app as well. If you hit the search option up top- there are many book and podcast recommendations if you’re up for learning something about your disease :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like