Suggestions during early stages of Sobriety

Hi guys. I am a starting my recovery journey again and would just like to know if anyone has any useful tips as this is my final chance. I just want to get better more than anything. Thank you

7 Likes

My tip would try ameeting might help wish you well

3 Likes

Hi Stephan and welcome to the forum!

There are lots of threads here with useful tips to support recovery, it can be abit overwhelming to navigate at first but if you type keywords in the search bar (magnifying glass at the top) you will find lots.of helpful resources :slightly_smiling_face:

Like you, it took me needing and wanting to get better more than anything else, for recovery to actually work and stick. Being prepared to do whatever it takes… change my lifestyle and even some friends, learn new healthier coping skills, create new routines, rewire my brain on how it viewed alcohol, seek support ie AA, NA, Dharma Recovery, SMART.

Most importantly, for me, it was about accepting that I simply could not drink and to stop being a stubborn ass and trying to do things on my own as that wasn’t working. I needed help. Swallow my pride, bruise my already shattered ego lol and seek out support from people who understood what I was going through.

5 Likes

An intensive outpatient program gave me the foundation I needed for my recovery. However, it didn’t stop there. Once that was done, I had to transition into another program for continued support. I chose AA but there are many out there to choose from.

3 Likes

Welcome Stephan, to this great sober community. Being active on here everyday has kept me sober.
Dan started a great thread.

Have a good read around. It’s hard work. It took a huge selfish commitment to my sobriety to get where I am today. I even had to ask for help. Because I could never do it on my own.
One Day At A Time.
Sometimes it’s One Hour At A Time.
Lots of great people here willing to support and be supported.

:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

Lots of great advice above :slightly_smiling_face:
Hi and welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

Thank you @Dazercat! You’re a badass…I’m gonna read this myself :blush:!

1 Like

You mention this is your final chance? What do you mean by that? If you are doing this for someone else it may be hard to stick with. You really need to want this for yourself for long term sobriety to set in.

1 Like

What really helps me is making a toolbox of coping mechanisms that I can fall back on. Bonus points if those mechanisms build skills, self-trust, and self-confidence.

For example, I journal almost every day and dump everything in my brain into the page. This includes the addict voice, insecurities, shame, chores, celebration, how my body feels, dreams, how my life is going. I use it as a space to reflect on my actions and thoughts, confront what is troubling me, and validate myself.

Other things I do is bodybuild, go running, cooking—anything that will put me in a meditative and focused state.

I did a lot of solo therapy and now I’m in a mindful self-compassion course that is teaching me self soothing skills.

I listen to podcasts and I read quit lit. There’s a thread devoted to quit lit in the forums. I can’t find it at the moment. And I check in here.

2 Likes

Be kind to yourself. Take it easy. Don’t think you need to be back to normal right away. You are allowed to avoid people and social gatherings for a while. Go to bed early if you’re tired. Heck, go to bed early if you’re tempted to use!!! Sleeping for 8 hours is better than getting wasted.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

2 Likes