Support? Please

Ugh. Broke my wrist mountain biking… Not new to injury but given pain meds. They make me want to drink… Been battling with craving! I’m on day 20!

Been feeling so good, I feel so guilty for craving booze. I thought I was over it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m so pissed I can’t go bike today :sob:

5 Likes

Are there alternatives you can use for the pain? Did you tell the folks at the hospital that you are in recovery?

If the pain meds are awakening the addict brain, its risky to continue with them. Give a call to the dr and ask if there is something else you can take.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your wrist. Can you take a nature walk?
Please be careful with pain meds. Take exactly as prescribed and get off as soon as you can. I hated pain meds and forced myself to take them for severe pain then i got to the point that I liked them and went to needing them.

3 Likes

That sounds painful… please do your very best, Dylan, to stay on the right path. Is there someone you can have give you the meds if you need them?

6 Likes

This! I was offered meds for a broken ankle but just took OTCs they suggested instead.

It sucks, but booze especially doesn’t do good things for healing. Meds aside, eyes on the prize. If what ya want is biking again, focus on healing. Getting drunk and falling down to reinjure the wrist would be a helluva set back.

Stuff happens. I broke my ankle hiking which meant no hiking for the better part of a year. Once I could though, man. I literally wept it was so great being out there again!

This will pass just like all things. Take care, @DylanL!

7 Likes

Definitely! I live being outdoors… I’m also an adrenaline junkie and why my wrist is broken. Not many recovery forums for that… I hate pain meds and they make me angry and agitated.

Going to focus on healing! 3rd bone this year… I’m tired of this cycle of healing

Oh that sucks…I took a wicked dig on my mtn bike last year and man, wrists are tender things.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. 3 weeks, while it is some good time, is very early in sobriety. It takes time to heal your body and your mind and for cravings to go away.

Sending healing vibes your way.:heart:

4 Likes

Dylan, I think maybe you should get a Pelaton while you’re healing, :smile: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I’m sorry for your broken wrist Dylan. Maybe try hiking instead. Most people’s adrenaline addiction gets weaker over the years (mine sure has and does), but the love for the outdoors only gets stronger. Being out there makes me feel alive, whether I’m on a bicycle or walking. Hiking is another experience, I’m even in closer contact with my surroundings. Love it. Still love cycling too.

3 Likes

So true! I work in conservation and hike regularly. Birds and plants are my thing… I definitely appreciate and see more when hiking. I just need that little boost of adrenaline and mileage. I thought it would chill after the years, but it’s only gotten stronger.

2 Likes

Maybe there’s an adrenaline anonymous, lol…:joy:
They meet on bungie chords!:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

:joy: haha still looking!

1 Like

So sorry about your broken wrist. Also sorry I don’t have any advice except what @anon79808082 said about getting someone to dole out your meds. I’ve been a med dispenser person before. I can also see where the cravings would happen. Maybe lots of R and R and some meditation.

Might knead to lay off the bread making for awhile. :joy:
I’ll show myself out now :door:
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Ha! Puns always welcome friend. My mom is my med despenser… Glad that was never my DOC. But don’t want to ride a slippery slope either

2 Likes

Ya be careful. I know for a fact if one substance is substituted for another the addictive brain can kick in and say GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!!! please be careful. Check in when you can.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

:pray: thank you.

Didn’t give in! Woke up today greatful. Wrist is killing me but going to relax and watch football… Or american football for my euro/asian/latin friends. Thanks for the support

2 Likes

Oh yeah, Patriots are playing tonight! Who do you watch?