Surgery Advice

So yesterday I had to have robotic labrascopy surgery and I had told my doctor that I only wanted non narcotic pain meds. I thought I would be ok with anything other than the pain meds. He ended up giving me an anti inflammatory and tylenol. I am in soooo much pain, its unbreable and I am hating the way I feel. I am filled with the gas that was put inside to open me up, I am ridiculously bloated and I have major cramps. I just needed to vent and ask if you guys think I should ask for tramadol? Its a non narcotic but it can make you feel like you are on a narcotic? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!!

Were narcotics your drug of choice? Are you still in the hospital? I’m so sorry you’re in so much pain.

Heroin and crack were my go to… and I am very aware that if I were to be on narcotic pain meds, I would like it too much, regardless if I dont abuse them, I’m sure I would probably end up abusing them and I dont want to take that chance. I am in tremendous pain, that is why I was going to ask my doctor to give me tremadol, which is a non narcotic, but it sometimes makes you feel like you are on opiates.And no I am out of the hospital, I was discharged litterally 2 hours after my surgery.

Damn. 2 hours? You must live in the US (as do I). I’ve had multiple surgeries on my abdomen so i get the bloating and pain. Did the doctor give you any ideas on how to help the gas move through your system? I’m sure you can’t really move right now. I’m an alcoholic so I can’t speak to tramadol being a trigger. But I wish you well. @Englishd, can you offer advice?

Hey girl, sorry to hear that you’re in such a pain. Usually the leftover gas in your stomach slowly reduces itself in 1,5-2 weeks.
You can try meds that reduce bloating, but I live in Germany so I can not tell you any names :pensive: Here it is called Buscopan. Do you have anyone with you who could go to a pharmacy for you? You could also try things like Paracetamol or Ibuprofen.
Get well soon :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I’m almost 9 months clean and I won’t take anything stronger than ibprofun. I have abused tramadol in the past. It is possible although not recommended. If you’ve done a lot of heroin tramadol won’t do much for you.

For me I wouldn’t take anything unless it was an absolute last resort

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice. I can’t take any ibuprofen, only tylenol. I’m just going to fight thru it. Thank you all again!

2 Likes

I had a ventral hernia repaired the same way. It will subside reasonably quick. I didn’t take anything for pain aside from the 800mg ibuprofens.

2 Likes

As a former pill and heroin junkie… i recommend against the tramadol as it can cause wd too. It is also a ssri which can give you unpleasent benzo like wds. Even when i was on dope and almost cut my hand off. You still feel quite a bit of pain even with narcotics. Its best to just take the tylenol and pull through. Within a week or so the pain should subside to bareable…

2 Likes

I was prescribed tramadol to take at night to sleep through my back pain but I would forget the hour or so before I fell asleep the next morning and my brain was so foggy when I was driving to work one day and passed it by 3 miles before I realized I was zombie driving. Maybe ask your dr about what all natural or homeopathic methods could help?

1 Like

Poor girl, that looks painful.
My thoughts are with for a speedy recovery. I have no idea about medicines. But I hope you pain some pain relief asap that works with you.x

2 Likes

I treat pain with Tumeric and ice. That’s all I use. Not sure if it would be enough for post-surgical pain, but it would have to be really bad for me to request a prescription painkiller. I don’t take OTC pain meds either, beyond an 81mg baby aspirin my doctor recommended to lower heart attack risk. OTC pain meds are ototoxic and I can’t afford to have anymore hearing-loss.

Shortly after getting sober, I had an 80lb box of flooring land on my toes. They were huge, black and blue, and I was in a lot of pain. Tumeric and ice. That’s what I used.

1 Like

Nice to see you posting @Sobergal91.

1 Like