"Synth" Alcohol Development?

I just want to hear people’s thoughts on this article. Do you think it will work? How long do you think it will take to get through the FDA and similar? How hard do you think alcohol companies will try to quash it?

As a recovered alcoholic I would choose not to find out the effects.

I’m happy at my level.

I worked with global drink companies as customers, thankfully I don’t now but they will do whatever they can to quash it. And if they can’t they have so much capital they’ll get in on the action.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I wouldn’t necessarily trust myself with something like this. It might be great for the next generation or whatever comes after, but I think it would be worse than near beer for causing relapses. We’d have some, get buzzed, and then have some real alcohol to finish the job. That would be how I could see myself relapsing, anyways.

1 Like

Well, in truth I agree that really anything can become addictive. I guess the upside to thos would be the lack of hangover and withdrawal.

If scientists could make a alcohol that gives us pleasure without releasing dopamine, then that would be great…But dopamine is the chemical that gives us pleasure, which in turn partly causes addiction.

1 Like

Agreed… But addictive substances aren’t the only things that release dopamine. Sex, eating, reading, exercise, etc all release dopamine. Yes these things can become addictive, as can anything that gives you pleasure. The only difference between those and a drug is the physical codependancy along with the sometimes life threatening withdrawal. Not only that, but although people can eat themselves into an early grave, I think the damage with alcohol might (?) be a little more pronounced and obvious

Absolutely, if they could stop the physical damage alcohol causes that’s part of the problem solved in terms of cost to the taxpayer through healthcare etc.
Costs in terms of damaged relationships, lost jobs and violence etc,would be harder to control.
I wonder if the alcohol industry is trying to find a way to push alcohol or make it more appealing?

1 Like

Do they need to make it mote appealing when there’s suckers like us in the world? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Lol true. I know here in the UK alcohol consumption overall is declining. … slowly.
Interesting article. David Nutts is a clever guy.

1 Like

Part of me thought " I wonder if they can make a heroin, crack , valium , cannabis and all the drugs you can think of with no negative consequences? ??? Then I can give it another go!!!" :joy:

1 Like

Phht!!! XD

1 Like

Yep my head talks shit!:joy:

1 Like