Take on Sponsors

What really is the goal of a sponsor? How much is demanded of them?

1 Like

Take you through the steps and be there if you are having urges etc. As my sponsor told me, he is not my taxi, banker, therapist or job coach. He’s not going to chase me around if I dissappear, at least until I prove I’m serious. He will call me on my bullshit and give me suggestions in sobriety. I will run important decisions by him before I make them. Eventually they do grow into one of the most important people in your life and a close friend. It has to be someone you trust because you are going to be sharing a lot of stuff with them that you haven’t told anyone else.

1 Like

A good sponsor will walk you through the steps and call you on your bullshit. The primary job of a sponsor is to stay sober, working with other users/alcoholics is just another tool used to stay sober.

Some sponsors are like Gestapo and will be on you like a fly on sh*t, others are laid back and let you run your own sobriety. You should listen at meetings and find someone you relate to, is willing to sponsor and ask them to walk you through the steps.

3 Likes

Had my sponsor for 28 years he became my friend he even worked for me in my company he passed away two years now today i sponsor giving something back for what i got in my early days

2 Likes