Taking first steps toward recovery

This is my first day of sobriety. I finally reached a point where alcohol was going to destroy my relationship and my job. I always knew I was an alcoholic but never thought I’d stop. My family is fully aware now. I’m anxious and scared but happy at the same time that I am taking the first steps to stop poisoning my body and mind.

13 Likes

Welcome, @JMAR! You’ve come to the right place. Lots of stories and sage advice on how people are getting done here.

Keep coming back! :v:

1 Like

I had all these feelings to. You’ve have made a great first step joining this forum like Eke said it’s full of great advice and support. Read around, post, reach out we are all here to help and everyone of us started on day one. Have you though much about how your going to tackle this? It helps yo have a plan or work a program. Welcome and congratulations on your first day :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for your message. I need to develop more of a plan. But for starters today I threw away all alcohol in my apt, downloaded this app, talked more with my parents. I think AA would be helpful and will probably go soon. Any tips are appreciated, I still haven’t explored this message board a lot

4 Likes

Welcome @JMAR you’re in the right place. Great group here willing to give advice and listen. You’re in good company. It all starts with day 1. Time to stack some days.

1 Like

That’s sounds like a great plan to me. :+1::+1::+1: I found telling my family really helpful in making accountable.

A lot of people here will tell you that AA saved their lives and I see wonderful things happen to people that go. I personally go to smart recovery meetings (worth a google) there are also online meeting you can join up to.
@SoberWalker Soberwalker has an awesome sober plan and I’m sure she will pop along soon and share. @Wunderbar Chad is a legend with his famous words NEVER CRAVE ALONE, this advice has helped me and countless others. When cravings hit, reach out, talk to us, we will help you through them. Remember cravings will pass and you get stronger at fighting them with practice.

Other than that I reccomend reading through the threads, (use the search bar at the top, if you have a question chances are people have talked it through before) ask questions, check in and reach out as often as you need. And be open to other peoples ideas, if somebody has what you want I.e sober time then listen to thier advice and do what they do.

You’ve got this, so proud of you making the best decision ever :+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

Wow thank you so much. I love the never crave alone advice, I will definitely be using this app.

1 Like

You are very welcome. Fighting addiction is not easy but sticking together definitely helps. Looking forward to seeing you around and hearing more of your story. :blush::green_heart:

Welcome @JMAR awesome first step. Acceptance is a vital part of the recovery process and the fact that you are including family and friends is huge. This is an awesome community… Keep checking in…
#sobrietyrocks :pray:

Right there with you. I’m about to hit day 5. I totally understand your fears.

2 Likes

Happy to hear other people are in the same boat. Good luck- we both can do this :+1:

1 Like

Huge congratulations for taking the first step. Find something to occupy yourself/distract during the times when you would drink. Go for a walk. Read a book, cook etc. the hard part is filling that time. Like everyone said above. During the tough times, come back here and intact positive info here that can help you. Wish you nothing but the best and never be afraid to ask for that help. Sounds as if you have started on the right foot.

2 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it

Honestly shocked at all the support I really didn’t expect it when I first downloaded this app

2 Likes

Welcome! That’s great you’re here! People have helped me alot here. theres some smart folks on here that can give you great advice

1 Like

Hi Justin and welcome here 🙋
Glad you found us, this app is a great app if you use it it all his potential.
Here is my list @Frantasticooo is reffering at.
It helps me a lot in staying sober:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

I’m 11 months sober now and I’m here every day since my day 1.
You can be there to.
Just decide not to drink today and do it again tomorrow and repeat…
Go for it👊

2 Likes