Taking the sobriety road to motivate a piece of my heart

Now headed towards a week that I decided to give up alcohol to travel down the sober road accompanying my daughter. Don’t have a problem with alcohol but doing this to show her I’m here for you. She’s been struggling with drugs for the past 5 years and have seen hear deteriorating right in front of my eyes. Going from being on top of her graduating class in high school, to losing contact with her and finding her living in the streets for a week. Very intelligent young woman who has so much potential to contribute to society, to now bipolar with psychotic features. It’s heartbreaking seeing her hit rock bottom and trying to break through to her to understand that she’s got a problem when I’m bailing her out for domestic abuse to her boyfriend. As a father I always do everything I can to motivate and support her in every way possible. So what I decided to do with her is join her on her journey to sobriety by giving up alcohol. Both of us maintaining a healthy lifestyle side by side to lean on each other. She has a great support system at home with her sister, brother, stepmother and myself. The hard part for me has been struggling with anxiety due to the worrying and the hard pain of seeing her go through this. The constant thinking and blaming myself of what did I do wrong in raising her or maybe not giving her the right advice to say no to drugs as she was growing up in her teens. All I can do now is pray for God to give us the strength to fight this battle and for her to keep moving forward.

9 Likes

Thank you so much for your support and advice.

2 Likes

You’ve found your way to a very helpful community. Welcome!

Please feel fee to use the search feature–sometimes just putting in keywords of how I’m feeling has led to hidden gems of even threads from long-ago that are just what were helpful for me to read in that moment.

What a heart-wrenching thing you are going through! keep in mind that in order to start the next chapter, you can’t keep re-reading the last one.
(forgive me, I’m a librarian & writer :slight_smile: )
be gentle with yourself as much as possible.

peace

3 Likes

So glad you joined this community. Your daughter is so fortunate to have a supportive family.

2 Likes