Tenth step - what do u do daily?

Very aa orientated, so ignore if it doesn’t apply. What does everyone do for the tenth step each day? My sponsor is very thorough, and does a lot everyday, but she is also flexible and is encouraging me to find something that fits me.

Her 10th step template is as follows.

When we retire at night, we constructively review our day (list everything we did today).
Did I meditate?
Did I pray?
Were we: Resentful? Selfish? Dishonest? Afraid?
(and if I answer yes, I have to fill out - What happened? / Affects my… / Where was I? / My part? / Opposite action)
Have we kept something to ourselves which should be discussed with another person at once?
What could we have done better?
Were we kind and loving to others?
Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time? Or were we thinking of what we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life?
List of people who NEED my prayers:
Do I owe an amends?
What did your significant other do right today?
“After making our review we ask God’s forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.”

Well, as a big ol’ atheist, I have changed “prayed” to “said my affirmation”, and the last part to “I will engage spiritual energy and awareness to help me grow in abiding strength and wisdom and in the enjoyment of life.”

Is everyone else doing a similar kind of thing? Has anyone shortened it? Or anyone got a question that is not on here? I have looked online, and some have the question “Did I call my sponsor today”, which wouldn’t fit me. I was just curious what other people were doing, what things are essential and what I could maybe change.

Thanks in advance

5 Likes

This sounds about right to Fluer

When practicing these everyday you will start learn to catch yourself doing them and be able to stop and change your thoughts or make amends
But I only write down the big stuff that I’ve maybe done and talk to my sponsor when I meet him I don’t phone him everyday
The god part is up to yourself, I have a higher power but I struggle with god stuff , I also don’t ask for forgiveness I done what I have done and I talk to my sponsor about it
After awhile the step will become second nature to you , a lot of us in AA try our best to complicate things more than they are :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks, good to hear it gets more automatic. atm it is taking a bit of time, I am kinda enjoying it because it is still new, but wonder what will happen when the novelty wears off.

1 Like

That’s why I keep going to meetings and stay on here it reminds me of the work I need to do each day

2 Likes

Although not in AA anymore, I find that journaling before I go to bed to be very helpful. Nothing crazy, perhaps even the new journal within this app. Have a template and just do a quick reflection. You’ll start to be more aware during the day as well :purple_heart:

1 Like

I’ve been using 2 journals, one specifically for my character defects identified in step 4 originally and my progress in battling cravings and addiction, and one journal to help me organize my thoughts on the day in general. The first helps me to heal, and the second helps me to make tomorrow a better day. It’s made leaps and bounds in my recovery

1 Like

Thanks for your replies everyone. It sounds like it is a private thing for most people. I have to send mine to my sponsor daily. Is that unusual?

1 Like

I’ve never had a sponsor, so I couldn’t say for the program - but it’s very common for journals to be made public for mentor/mentee relationships (at a certain level, and never without permission) because it will provide your sponsor with a clearer picture of what your state of mind is.

This sounds to me like it’s just the best way your sponsor communicates with you and understands where you are in your recovery. I have had a lot of mentoring/tutoring relationships like this and the fact that I knew my journals would be read helped me to be more honest in writing them because I knew that my mentor would be able to use that knowledge to help me more - and as a mentor or tutor I always felt that I could do more for my pupil/mentee if I had that insight.

At the end of the day, I think it’s a conversation that you and your sponsor can best figure out together - what is the best way for the two of you to communicate that will a) help you to stay sober and b) help your sponsor to keep you accountable and moving forward

1 Like

I do all this :point_up_2:
I would say you’re kicking ass if you stick to this. Just a personal opinion obviously, but it sounds like your sponsor kicks ass too.

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t mind sharing with her, she knows all my dirty secrets anyway, and is very knowledgeable about the program, so I am sure she would have insights that I would not.
@Mtrav0040 Yeah, I lucked out, she’s lovely.

1 Like