Thankful for this community

Today is a FRUSTRATING day. I have a strong urge to tell someone off and know that I am just on edge. No one told me how isolating this road would be and how my outlook on a lot of “friends” would completely change. It’s sad, and it also annoys me. While sitting at work I thought of how good a drink would be after I got home today. But the amount of days and the quote on my main page gave me that little push I needed. I’m also so thankful for this community and all the advice / support I have received. I’m grateful to all of you and that even if it’s not in person, I still feel like I have some people who are in my corner.

15 Likes

Congrats on 16 days!! That’s awesome!

This journey can and often does remove us from our friend groups, which is necessary, we really shouldn’t be around those who enabled and encouraged our addiction. It can be lonely.

I found comradery here in the early days. There’s comfort in being able to confide in people who know exactly what the score is.

Eventually, I yearned for face to face connection and I found that in new work friends, ones who also don’t drink. Non-drinkers are out there, many more than you’d think, just gotta keep you’re eyes open. :blush:

2 Likes

You made two smart choices today, coming here and deciding to keep sober!

2 Likes

You can tell someone off. That’s always an option, but it’s a defensive response. What are you defending against? If a person puts you down or doesn’t understand you, that’s more of a “them” problem than a “you” problem. Situations like this are a perfect opportunity to learn what your triggers are, what healthy, assertive communication is. It especially teaches you what your values are and what you will tolerate in your relationships. Some people will drop out of your life (or you’ll drop them, lol.) Some people will stay and new ones will come in. Learning how to do these things without alcohol can be a challenge. Sometimes it’s easier to run away from difficult emotions rather than self-reflect and confront them. But the road of addiction is dark and destructive. One day at a time, my friend.

2 Likes

16 days is amazing​:pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::pray:

1 Like