That moment

When your friend knows you’re trying to quit pot and wishes you a Happy 420 anyway.

I know he’s just trying to be funny, but I’m not taking it very well. I don’t even know how to respond to it after a night with little sleep.

3 Likes

You don’t have to respond. You have to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable. My DOC was alcohol. Alcohol is everywhere. Offering someone a drink is considered good hospitality. I had to learn to be around alcohol and people drinking it, while not drinking it myself. It took work to do so, in the beginning. Now I won’t drink because I don’t drink. I have become a non-drinker, perfectly able to go about my life, without any worries about encountering alcohol or being offered alcohol.

2 Likes

Those are hard moments, especially early in sobriety while you’re still working on your toolkit. Good for you for not smoking - that’s something to be happy about! Take it as a learning experience, a good chance to start planning for the next one. Try making a list of problems caused by smoking pot, keep the list with you. Then make a list of triggers, and what you can do to manage them in the time when they happen.

And practice breathing. One breath at a time, in, out, in, out, in, out.

And take a look at some of the programs here:
Resources for our recovery

Working a program really helps with those hard moments.

You’ll get there :innocent:

1 Like

maybe they just made an absent minded slip? our sobriety isnt on the forefront of others minds like it is ours. ive said so much dumb shit in the past and people cut me more breaks than i deserved so now that im more conscious of what comes out of my mind i try and return the favor of forgiveness/cutting breaks to others when i get the chance.

regardless i understand that it can be tough to deal w. hopefully the annoyance of it leaves your head and you can have a more calm day :slight_smile: youve shared it here and thats cool, usually when i share whats bothering me some of the weight of the problem lessens.

hope you have a great monday

2 Likes

@Yoda-Stevie Thanks. Yeah well, feeling uncomfortable is the story of my life, lol. It just felt like an insensitive thing to say. I’ll explain down below… :slightly_smiling_face:

@anon86726034 Thank you. I do feel crappy today, which is okay and ofcourse, understandable. We started out as friends, but he has been selling pot to me in the past and even recently. He knows I’ve been struggling to quit many times before. He suffers from a variety of addictions himself and also told me to call him whenever I decide to start smoking again. However, I don’t feel any temptation at this point and it does feel like he wants me to fall into the trap. I know I’ll forgive him anyway as I’m not one to hold on to resentment. :heart: But I wonder how this friendship will continue, as pot is sort of common ground for us, even though he said he feels like we’ve grown closer over time. I’m not sure how I feel about that but time will tell.

@Matt Thank you for these helpful tools. I used to meditate everyday, but I guess I feel to restless atm for that to practice well. I promised myself to start doing yoga again to get into my body and out of my head, but I’m procrastinating really bad. :see_no_evil: Just got myself a bit of sleep and feeling a little better than this morning. I’m joining my first meeting tomorrow though, it’ll be my first meeting ever so I’m not sure what to expect, but definitly looking forward to it. My head’s a lot clearer and that was, to me, the worst thing about pot: I thought it relaxed my mind, but instead it just gave me chaos and anxiety. I can see that now, as with attempts before I would’ve already relapsed at this point.

@les thanks. :slightly_smiling_face: I do feel less annoyed than this morning. I’m aware that the lack of sleep makes me feel like crap and the feeling about that message is my feeling, so I chose not to respond. I just woke up, so on my way to make some coffee now and after that taking a shower and then take a walk outside. The weather is beautiful today.

I will keep going and I’m determined to beat this MF called cannabis!! Thanks to all, I appreciate you took the time to respond. Have a great day and keep going strong! :muscle::four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes