The 5 Stages of Sobriety.. simplified

I learned of 5 stages in my IOP group, I’ve come to discover they’re pretty accurate.

1. Pre-contemplation. The I don’t have a problem.
    The “dogs go meow and cats go woof” phase.

2. Contemplation. The I might have a problem phase.
    The “I think cats are actually the meowers, and dogs are the woofers” phase.

3. Learning. The I want to understand and get some facts phase.
    “I was reading and listening to a person describe that dogs actually do woof, and cats actually do meow”

4. Action. When you start actively battling your addiction, such as try to put together a few days sober, go to AA, SMART, IOP, Inpatient, see a counselor/therpist for your problem.
    “I just want to let you know, that I now know that cats go meow and the doggies bark, not my previous thinking that dogs meow and cats bark”

5. Maintenance. You have a comfortable amount of sobriety under your belt, cravings are less and less, you actively engage in your treatment with understanding that it’s a lifelong pursuit.
    “So you think dogs meow and cats bark? I used to think the same such thing but I can show you that it’s simply not so, let me help”

What stage are you in? I was in an info gathering/learning phase when I got here. I’d like to think I’m in maintenance but I know there’s so much work to be done on me still, so I’d say I’m in the active stage for the most part.

20 Likes

Always 4 and 5 action has to be maintained. Great post.

2 Likes

The age old faith without works is dead is a mantra I try to use daily. The more active I can be in my sobriety, the easier/better/more enjoyable sober life gets.

2 Likes

I’m in 3, 4, and 5. Done with 1 & 2. I’m still learning all I can about the tools available to help with 5. I have been doing 4 for almost 90 days now, but I don’t feel like I have everything I need to successfully do 5 forever, so I’m doing 3.

2 Likes

Yes I would say majority 5 but we all slip in thought every now and again, it’s the work which keep the cogs greased so you can go up a gear if you’re sitting in 4th for too long.

2 Likes

I just had a flashback to inpatient lol. I might have to go dig out my notes I took (yeah I took rehab notes, what of it?) And start posting them.

1 Like

It’s pretty useful stuff for those who like to overthink things. At the end of the day it comes down to action and inaction. Helps others helps yourself and don’t pick up a drink/drug

3-4. I’m almost 3 days in and feeling stronger than usual but fully aware it’s not easy. Thankful I found this app/forum and hoping it helps a bit.

1 Like

I’m a 5 I think. . I have a pretty solid program but there is always room to grow. I must always remain teachable. I work with others when ever possible.

3 Likes

The day we “know everything” is a sad day indeed. Always teachable, always learning.

2 Likes

In 4… Finally

I didn’t read a description of my phase:

Foxhole dug… check
Grenades out, pins straightened…check
Fresh mag in the rifle, spares on the belt…check
Fighting knife stuck in a sandbag for last-ditch easy access…check
K-pot on, eyes open, head on a swivel…check

Bring it, alcohol. I am ready to defend my sobriety to the death.

9 Likes

Eh, the cats and dogs anaolgy doesnt really make sense to me.

Thank fuck I’m done with 1-2. TOOK LONG ENOUGH! I guess what I find interesting is that my 1-2 took place in private/secret for me. It did not play out on this forum or in a recovery program or even as anything I said to anyone else or even therapists over the years. It took me YEARS, just in my own head.

Now solidly in 3-4, where I expect to be for some time.

Also, I love @Yoda-Stevie 's version.

6 Likes

That’s cause some of us are unicorns

1 Like

Yes we are

1 Like

Same , sober twin :star_struck:

I’m somewhere between 3 and 4. Learning but still have the aching idea of moderation in the back of my mind. Still haven’t gotten to a meeting, but I do have 12 days under my belt, which is amazing for me for how bad my addiction got. Coming here daily teaches me more things everyday.

3 Likes

My Ma battled both mental illness and alcoholism for years, to the point where her family stepped in, had her committed, my grandparents made our gaurdians. I blame the alcohol more than the illness. There were years after her initial diagnosis where she was a good mom. It’s when she started drinking that we started losing her. This makes me mindful of how hard this can be, because I saw someone I loved lose that fight.

3 Likes

Always between 4 and 5. I feel like I’m always going to be doing something about it, otherwise I won’t be able to maintain.

2 Likes