The Big Book

I just got my copy of the Alcoholics Anonymous book, and I heard it called “the big book” in a meeting I went to. I hope they were talking about this book LOL if it’s not, sorry for the misleading topic :grimacing: I have the fourth edition and have started reading kind of randomly through it…are there any suggested reading plans? Any specific way I should read it? Am I thinking too much about it??? :woman_facepalming:t2: I’m trying out different meetings right now, I think I’ve found a good fit with one. They did some testimonials last time, and I wasn’t sure who to ask about reading the book…any help is appreciated!!

2 Likes

I started with a sponsor by reading the Doctor’s Opinion. Like all books I suggest starting at the beginning. However, the stories start after the first 164 pages and you read them individually.

4 Likes

acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation – some fact of my life – unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.

Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God’s world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life’s terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

3 Likes

I’ve read it once, front to back and now just find myself dipping in and out. I usually find the chapter I end up reading is relevant to how I’m feeling. I can usually take something from it.
But I would say, don’t think too much about it.
In fact the whole process can be overthought in my opinion.
All we really need to be doing is the next right thing.

8 Likes

i take my guys through it doctors opinion and how it works into action . but also ask them to have a quite time and read through it . , its not a race take your time get a sponsor and im sure youl be ok wish you well

3 Likes

I read it about 3 or 4 times before I ever stepped into an AA meeting. I just started at the beginning. Each time, I got something new and different out of it. My sponsor didnt set down and read it to me. I would have weekly reading “assignments” and we would discuss what I read at a 1 on 1 meeting.

5 Likes

Update! So I began skimming through the table of contents and read a few of the stories-
Crossing the River of Denial and It Might Have Been Worse. Then went back and started at the beginning and am planning on diving into chapter 2 tomorrow after church :partying_face:

3 Likes