The binge eating stops here

I have been binge eating since I was 13. It is how I would comfort myself when my Dad was fighting with my stepmom. I just celebrated my 27th birthday. 14 years of this bullshit.
Every year, I always wish that "I’ll leave this addiction in the past ". How I won’t start another birthday with it being in my life.
I can’t tell you how many tips and tricks I’ve tried.
Rewards, diets, therapy, food journaling. It works at first, but then I am faced with the strongest urges to binge. It is so exhausting to constantly keep them at bay.

My biggest trigger is watching TV. During a binge, I always watch it. I don’t want to think or feel anything. I just escape into the make believe of whatever Netflix show I stumbled across, stuffing my face until I feel disgusting.

Pop is another one. If I can’t have a coke with my pizza, it ruins it for me.

I find that during the day, I eat pretty healthy. But if I mess up and have a cookie, I think “well might as well binge” And I usually do. I feel very out of control when I’m in that state.

These are the rules I must implement so I can avoid my triggers and quit for good:

• No eating while watching TV alone
    *Limit TV watching
    *Quit Pop
    *Fitness plan (when I work out in the morning, it reduces the craving.)
4 Likes

I struggled mightily with binge eating. Being a drunk didn’t help matters. Mom code named me the Human Garbage Disposal, lol.

I eat much better now, can tell when I’m actually hungry and can discern when I’m full and just eating more for feeling. Big change for me was my diet, I chose the keto lifestyle and it’s been monumental for me. The fat satiates, leaves me feeling full.

Good luck, eating disorders are tough.

1 Like

I struggle with binge eating, the urges always beats me, I can never control it, i drink even though I shouldn’t, I also eat healthy during the day, all my friends say I’m so healthy but once at home, the binge just starts and the feeling is horrible

1 Like

I struggle with this too, and some things that have helped me are removing trigger foods from my house, buying small portions (pint of ice cream vs. gallon, small roll of Oreo’s vs. a large tray, etc.) from the store if I’m really craving a certain foods, and tracking everything in myfitnesspal to hold myself accountable.

The small portion thing doesn’t work for everyone, but I personally will mega binge if I try going cold turkey. If abstaining completely works better for you, then definitely do that.

Drinking more water (and tracking with the water time app), eating high protein, and eating lots of veggies help keep me full too, which helps me avoid binging. Walks and any psychical activety are good distractions and help curb the negative side effects of my general tendency to overeat.

1 Like

Same here, people think I’m super healthy but I’m a hot mess when I get home.

Binging is such a hard addiction to break, you can’t stop eating or avoid all food, it’s always there

1 Like

It’s the eating in secret, home alone, that does me in. I’m a little better around other ppl but not much. It sucks pretty bad when you eat so much in a restaurant that the servers make a comment.