The Caffeine Circus Cycle of Fail

Thank you for thinking of me. It’s not where I have been before, I think but then I am not calculating any milligrammes. I don’t drink late in the afternoon which is a good thing.
But tbh I don’t think that I will give it a lot of attention (I mean quitting) in the next 3 months. I’ll be in a diabetes rehab (aka vacation) mid July where I could try again. Coffee might well be awful there :grimacing::upside_down_face:

How are you doing?

3 Likes

This is such a nice insight into addiction. I love it

2 Likes

That makes sense. You have a lot on your plate right now. If you are consuming less than before, at the very least, then that’s a win in my book. Good luck with the next three months. I hope it passes by quickly and as smoothly as possible.

I’m doing alright, thanks for asking. I have been reducing my caffeine intake for the last couple months and when I woke up this morning, I decided, kind of suddenly, that today was going to be the day I’d forgo that last 200mg tablet. So I guess today is day 0 for me. Time for me to embrace the suffering :rofl: :sweat_smile:

@liminal.rehab Thank you for saying so :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I will be back with you soon. Drink a lot again. Due to… I drank again beginning of march when all this bs started and I was beginning to be reeeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyy tired. Now, here I was thinking again about quitting. But I am staring on a screen all day. No paper. So this is really tiring work. I am not used to be honest. But I have 4 days off beginning of May which could work. Idk. Maybe no caffeine is no solution for me. :confounded:

2 Likes

I had several weeks off caffeine, but I dipped back into it about a week ago. I find it to be a very difficult thing to break away from. I’m still just taking the tablets, but I decided to buy two energy drinks in a moment of weakness. The morning I opened the first one, I only drank about a 1/4th before I dumped it. I felt a rise of GI discomfort and decided any positives I got out of the drink wouldn’t outweigh the negatives in the end. So I do feel very good about that. I paid attention to my physical body’s complaints instead of trying to strong arm it into what my mind/emotional state wanted.

@Bootz Did you do your VO2max test yet? How were your numbers? Very much agree about disliking wearing the face gear when running.

@anon74766472 I hope you’re able to find the best solution for you. It’s rough trying to quit when things are stressful.

2 Likes

That’s some good steps you are taking. You are so strong.
I am calming down a bit which I can feel also in my caffeine intake. I drink less and don’t want to buy new coffee for home. I will see how long this resolve will be up.
It’s also hormonal. Although it feels sometimes like an excuse. The week I moved here to France I was already at day 30 or so of my cycle and it was then the first week here overdue. Now on day 9 I feel a whole lot better. It would be nice if we could schedule stressful things outside these days :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

@anon74766472 Thank you for saying so. It’s been a slow journey; which is sort of how it’s been throughout all aspects of my sobriety journey. Hormones make such a big difference in things! I agree it would be great if we could schedule stressful things outside of those days!

@Bootz That makes sense about the test. I’m sure you will be one of those 90 year olds who are still killing it in the gym or on the trail. :grin: Also great work pushing your caffeine off by an hour, as you mentioned in the gratitude thread. I’ve gone through all kinds of energy drinks over the years.

The preworkout stuff I used to love was made by Beach Body. One of my ex employees used to be a rep and I found it through her. I would have some canned/bottled Yerba Mate as an ‘energy drink’. I only picked up canned energy drinks around the time that my health took a nose dive, and I was dropping into the worst of my addictions, so I didn’t care as much about health and wellness. I was hooked on Monsters for the longest time and then Bang. They are both horribly unhealthy! :laughing: I’m sure they both contributed to my current GI issues. I can definitely imagine it didn’t go over well with you. Late last year I found a more natural type canned caffeine drink, but I don’t remember the name. I’ll make note of it the next time I go to the store.

2 Likes

I was thinking today that when I compare my caffeine intake to Germany it must be already lower as it costs double for half the quantity here. I mean when I ask for a coffee or cappuccino you get here like 150 ml in total which is probably rather espresso size plus some milk and foam. Well. Not well. After my hike I was so desperate to get some coffee or something to eat the only thing available was a coffee machine where everything was with sugar and the first try was only sugar, I couldn’t drink it. I did a bit and saw the results a bit later in my sugar. I tried another version, unselected sugar and the result was still sugar crap. :crazy_face::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Just read the monk story :expressionless: somehow easy to understand. Crazy thing. When religion is in the way or some sort of tradition crashing with changed environmental conditions.

2 Likes

Well, I am here again. Need to figure this out. What was the problem last time? I was tired as fuck after this whole thing and stress started me going to France. I couldn’t sleep well. I picked up caffeine and could sleep better. Now, I am tried again during the day again which I wasn’t without caffeine (until the last days before relapse). :sob: Now, I am hooked up again to the habit. Makes me so angry against myself that I fucked it up again and now I have to go through it again. Or not. Which I don’t know. Does this remind me of other things? Hell, yes.
Well, this was just to say that a life fancying without caffeine is still in my head.

2 Likes

Try L-theanine

In conjunction with caffeine it is supposed to help with jitters and whatnot

Its just an animo acid supplement :slight_smile:

1 Like

I relate to this very much.

Hang in there!

1 Like

I was just reminded of our thread here :upside_down_face::grimacing:
I had a look and I’ll have 4 days off mid august which I am panicking over already due to the humid heat here. As it’ll be in a good time of my cycle most probably I could use it to quit. And it would give me some time to withdraw before going back to Germany by car (two days ride) end of August. I’ll think about it.

2 Likes

Day 1 only decaf. I’ll give it another try. I don’t even know why.
Took 2 ibuprofen, and a long nap in the afternoon. Walked almost the entire morning and another 2h before dinner. Hope I can sleep.

4 Likes

Day 2.
I don’t have any headache so far and am not tired. Well, from my hike but not in my head.
I resisted to by a diet coke. I am proud.
Makes me think that the coffee from the coffee machine at work here is maybe not made of caffeine :upside_down_face:
Well, I slept okay which is really nice.

3 Likes

I am with you here. I decided to stop my 1 cup of caffeinated coffee in the morning after it was making me anxious and feeling not super. It’s been a couple of weeks on decaf only. It takes a bit to wake still in the morning after I get up. But I don’t miss the anxious feel.

I had given up coffee years ago, but started up the 1 cup a morning about 7 or 8 years ago, maybe longer. Ah well. I also used to love chocolate ice cream at night, until it kept me up. Restful sleep is one of my favorite things, so anything helps with that I love.

Hope you adjust and feel :100: soon!!

4 Likes

You know. I do this several times. I always struggle with sleeping less. That’s what got me back in March.

It’s actually quite interesting to track my withdrawal symptoms :see_no_evil: but they make me not wanting to quit each time. Maybe I should just not going back to caffeine. Like you I’d rather stick to decaf than saying no coffee like drink at all.

3 Likes

When I first gave it up, it was really hard. I drank a ton of coffee (back in the always on coffee pot at work days, b4 Starbucks and Keurig etc hit the scene). Now it isn’t so hard, but I know the withdrawal can be a real struggle.

3 Likes

Day 3 only decaf.
I always convinced myself that a coffee would be okay. I was scared if fatigue hit me after lunch. But didn’t. I had some kind of muscle ache, back pain but one ibu was completely sufficient. The whole negotiation started this morning when I thought that I won’t accept having pain when a cup of coffee will heal this. And if the sleep stays the same why? I’ll see. Mild withdrawal so far which is cool.

3 Likes

Day 4 of this time around.
Couldn’t sleep really. Awake since 2 am. :expressionless:
Having real flu like symptoms, muscle ache. Hope this will pass soon.

3 Likes