The day I realized I’m an addict

Hi my name is Joe, today is the day that I decided to accept that I have a problem, I’m an addict of many things. Alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, or really anything that would make me feel better about myself, I grew up around alcohol and been a binge drinker since I was 17, I’m now 37 and can’t even remember the last time I was sober for more than a few days. Up until 8 years ago, I had not used any other drugs besides alcohol but have slowly been spiraling out of control. I’ve always lied to myself thinking I was actually in control cause I’ve always been able to hide it and still keep a job and be successful at that job, but I also realized that it’s all a lie. I don’t have control, and I’ve never been more unhappy in my entire life. I’ve slowly pushed family away and struggle to find common ground in my marriage as this has affected my wife significantly. As she just watches me drink my life away. I hope I’m not too late in trying to get sober, it’s something I know I must do or I won’t be alive much longer. I can only imagine how much farther I would be if I had never started down this path. I believe this will be one of the hardest things I will ever have to do, I do feel a sense of clarity that I was finally able to say out loud today. I’m an addict. And I need help.

15 Likes

Welcome Joe :hugs:
Glad you found us. This is a great place to get and give support. Have a good read around. Join in when you’re comfortable. You are not alone. Many of us have fought the battle. One day at a time ODAAT

Here’s a couple of threads to get you going. If you got any questions just ask. We were all new once. And it was hard. But it is so worth it.

Hope to see you around.
:pray::heart:

6 Likes

Welcome Joe and congrats on choosing a better life! It’s definitely not to late! I think the timing is perfect. Good luck to you and you have found a great place to start. This is a great community to be a part of!

5 Likes

Well done!! Joe you are here in this place of honesty and safety… i can relate as i just like yourself remember very vividly the day my inner world and torment became an open book… its hard but the first step in the rest of your realization and new drive of purpose was always going to be one of the hardest; we are all here to help, listen and walk with you as i am appreciative for the shoulders to lean on…as i was told so i say one small step is worth a million reasons to take the next one in the right direction! Stay with it and remember you are worth it. No! Its never to late to want something better for yourself - so be proud of this step…

3 Likes

Welcome Joe :wave: Being honest with yourself and admitting this is half the battle. The key here is to believe it wholeheartedly. There will be times where you will be tricked into thinking it isn’t true, or maybe you were wrong. Don’t believe those lies. Stay honest with yourself and learn how to tell yourself no.

There’s only one time where it’s too late to get sober, and let’s not let it get to that point. I’m also 37, and realized if I continued the way I was, I’d most likely be dead by 40. Every day was worse than the last. It never got better until I made the decision to put it down for good.

Don’t think of all the missed chances there might have been. There’s no way to know. ‘What ifs’ aren’t real, so it’s pointless to dwell. Glad you’ve found us. Read around and put in some work and it will be worth it, I promise :pray:

8 Likes

Nice to meet you man! See you round

2 Likes

Hi Joe, reminds me of myself, thinking i can control it coz i have a great job and doing so so well. But getting wasted every day, DUI, isolating,risking my Life, my Kids, and those of other, being a pilot. Wasted or hungover. So ashamed. But finally realising that I got a massive Problem. Sober 7 days - lets keep it going!

4 Likes

I am happy to say I’m going on day 4 sober, I actually was able to go to a business dinner with several colleagues and resisted the temptation to have alcohol, I instead had water while they all had beers. I don’t think I have ever done this before. I know now I can do this!!!

3 Likes