The dream of moderation

Ahhh a passage from the Ancient Texts. Very good. Very good indeed.

2 Likes

I used to dream of moderation.

Honestly my life is simpler without it completely. Less interesting some days though.

2 Likes

Yes this is so true. Deep down we know we are not normal drinkers because we have to put so much effort into trying to be. One of the things I’ve noticed is normal people go out with friends and alcohol is an added benefit of that but they could take it or leave it. For me alcohol and drinking was always the main event, and having people around me was an added benefit. Horrible thing to admit but my main relationship even when out socially was always with the bottle, not the people I was with. That being said, I’ve had periods where I have managed moderation, but it never lasts, and it’s mostly been because I’ve been around people who have buffered my habits because they drank so sensibly, sometimes I could do this too - it took alot of effort. But eventually and inevitably it doesn’t last, and then it just gets worse and worse, until enough is enough. So here we are :pray:

7 Likes

And then, there’s the fact that this is a sobriety forum. It’s really not a place for those who are moderating. Questioning whether they can? Sure. Openly discussing their ability to? Probably not so much.

6 Likes

Ah, the voice of reason has spoken.

Wow, these are many posts for this simple stetement.

To me, the situation is ok. Started my training for the Paris Marathon this week and i plan to do this as alcfree as possible (make sense, right?:wink:). Plus, i found a sober place to watch football and i decided to make a break from the darts.

I think, it will be a good time, looking forward.

2 Likes

This is an important realisation and as you know, a really big part of achieving sobriety.

Good for you for deciding to take a break from darts too! It sounds like that has been a big part of your life and something you didn’t really want to let go of.

1 Like

Must say i’m surprised by your idea of moderation. 5 drinks, it’s a lot… definitely not what I would call moderate. Iwould be drunk on that.
Take care, and good luck for the marathon !

2 Likes

If you’ve come to learn for yourself that alcohol is bad for you why would you choose to put it in your body?

I’ll leave moderation thanks… It just means my brain chewing over the idea of a drink, and “oh will I allow myself at Christmas? New years?” By having that drink even if you do keep it “here and there” you’re giving that antsy, itchy feeling traction and power. I don’t want to be placing the floor, biting my lip thinking about if it’s ok or not, I’d rather live healthy and free from it.

Cigarettes are no different.

2 Likes

If you drank up to 18, then five beers on a whole evening are very moderate. But yeah, for a normie its a lot of course

1 Like

The clarity I have been given from sobriety: alcohol has given me absolutely nothing. It’s nothing more than a liquid. There is no desire to drink it, nor moderate its use.

@ThePower what has alcohol given you, that you so tightly want to use it?

1 Like

When I try to moderate

8 Likes

For me, moderation is the worst saddest option. Because if I succeed at it, I’m irritable, moody, upset, angry, obsessing all the time in between sessions.

Such a sad pitiful existence for me

4 Likes

My message seems not to find the way. Its a pitty.

1 Like

I dunno, it seems like everyone is mostly agreeing with you, unless I am missing something

3 Likes

Your message may not be resonating with people on here because these are things more appropriate to talk about with your doctor, rather than a sobriety forum.

Promoting the idea of moderation in any form, and talking about how you’re able to stop after 5 beers, doesn’t do anyone any good here.

4 Likes

I absolutely agree. There were times I moderated, but it wasn’t fun. Although I romantise a few drinks, with dinner, like others have said, what I really want is to black out.

1 Like

I’m also agree its not easy but normal people can’t undrstand this

1 Like

Please see Guideline 5:

6 Likes