The Electric Shocks and other grief

Greetings from a hospital bed in beautiful Brisbane, Australia. I recently completed an outpatients detox through a community based organisation and I have noticed something strange about this particular attempt at sobriety: a range of unfamiliar and/or strange and new symptoms have developed in me that I was wondering if any others out there have experienced. The doctor’s in this facility seem to believe that much of what I am going through is related to alcohol induced nerve damage, and I was curious to know if many others out there shared similar experiences. Please provide examples of any such shared situations you may have undergone, as any information provided can prove invaluable to us all as a comfort to us all as we work on our recovery…

4 Likes

Welcome. This is an interesting first post. Perhaps you can explain more your symptoms to us so that others can share if they have heard of or shared something similar. What did your doctors say exactly?

3 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:
And sending you some healing energy and hugs :hugs:

1 Like

The hospital doctors seem just as confused as i am. Not only the electric shocks manifest out of the blue but I have also experienced an inability to swallow (even my own saliva: I have lost just under 30 kilos in 3 months where I would have assumed the opposite would occur) and my gout has returned with a vengeance (I was hoping it would do the opposite now that all alcohol intake has ceased).
I am strangely happy though, the physical pain may not be going away but it is nothing compared to the torment the electric shocks etc) and the inner peace that I am finding though abstinence.
P.s. thank you to anyone out there who took the time to read my journal entry from yesterday, I was thinking of leaving treatment and giving up the fight. I am grateful for your support and advice. I hope that one day I can help anyone else going through a similar crisis. Peace and best wishes to you all, and again thank you all.

3 Likes

Glad to hear you’re getting help for your addiction. I can relate to what you’re talking about. I have been told I have alcoholic nerve damage. It feels like electrical currents going through my legs and arms. It’s a strange pain and it’s hard to explain. But it makes me feel weak and hurts in my upper arms and legs. I’ve been told there is certain medication that can help maybe you can possibly discuss this with your doctor. Hope you’re hanging in there and pushing through. Also with this nerve damage I believe it can repair with time. Stay strong my friend

Ps: Not sure if I’m allowed to talk about medication’s on here but I was prescribed gabapentin for the nerve pain and it tremendously helped it’s very cheap not sure where you were living at I think you said Australia. It can be taken for a short time and can help with the pain and feelings you’re having. And also is off label prescribed for anxiety. Maybe they will recommend this not sure.

3 Likes

Why is your sobriety date listed as March 18 2023?

Hey buddy! This nerve damage absolutely is caused by alcohol. It can lead to paralysis OR you can stop drinking and the body will heal in time. Glad you are here.

It’s actually 18 February. Sorry about any confusion, I must have typed the wrong details.

It’s actually 18th February. Sorry about any confusion, i am pretty bad with technology. Peace

2 Likes

I thought you may have been from the future so I was gonna have you look up some lottery numbers

2 Likes

I’m may not be from the future but my friends often remark on my uncanny resemblance to George McFly when I dance. Smooth as smooth can be…

2 Likes