The Feb29ers (Feb 29th, March 1st)

Hey! welcome here. good that you join in! My story was kinda the same. did not drink for years (doc is actualy food) started last year again. then dry januai and fell apart afterwards. This communicty is a great way to support each other and share.

Welcome!!! thank you for sharing (part of) your story! This community is great. (of course also this particular thread :wink: )
I do not hink I am save already. having a realy tricky dangerous few days now actually. but reading a lot here helps me so much to keep coming back to the mindset that helps me back to recovery again.

1 Like

I can relate. I started out just reading and not posting anything for a long time but posting I think is a huge help because people can offer support. Early days for me, it sounds like you have some big challenges. You also have strength to have gotten through what you have. I believe in you!

2 Likes

sweet. that means the world some days when it is hard to believe in yourself. we are all just walking each other home right?

3 Likes

Absolutely. I’m going into this weekend feeling strong but cautious. I honestly have zero cravings so far because I’ve been feeling like crap with withdrawals but that will change, been there before, and it’s nottt going to be the same old story again, I’m going to do my best and feel determined.

1 Like

This thread may be what you are looking for…

What's everyone's opinion on how society normalizes alcohol abuse?

1 Like

I just escaped to the office terrace, which I have myself because it’s raining. I am on the verge of having an anxiety attack…again…

I’ve been through so many anxiety attacks, it’s the worst feeling. Do you have a strategy for working through them? Breathing exercises, grounding yourself, focusing on your senses, what you can see, touch, hear, smell?

1 Like

If you have a question search it up using the magnifying glass.
Pretty certain any questions you have have been covered at least once.
With regards to what we see around us…
It’s always going to be there so unfortunately all we can do is just accept it and learn to ignore it.
I know at first it is really hard, but the sooner we do just accept it the sooner we can move on.
I found it a big part of my recovery, because it really did move me forward in my understanding of how I understand my relationship with alcohol.
Helped to change my mindset knowing that there is absolutely nothing we can do about it except moan. And that’s a waste if perfectly good energy that can be put to good use somewhere else in our live journey.

Edit, I see Sassy has linked the topic.

1 Like

@Journey1 I am finding the same thing about shows and music. Suddenly there are SO many alcohol references or people drinking. I’m taking a break from tv right now for a bit. Good luck today with the training!! Have you squatted?? :rofl:

@Sunsw686 Ienjoy the elliptical. I have one but i haven’t making an awful squeaky sound and I gotta get hubs to fix it. If you want to grab a copy of the book I think we’ll be ready to start next week. Stay strong!! Keeping busy is good for the mind!
@Maria Wow!! What a day you have ahead of you! Happy birthday!!! :partying_face: Hooray for cake!!! :birthday: I hope everything goes really well for you with your aunt and dad today. Remember, you are worth something. You are a valuable soul. You can make it!
We’d love for you to join and Alcohol Experiment. Can you order the book?

@AnonymousD I’m glad to hear you made it and flexed your sober muscle too! Have you squatted today?! :wink:

@JoW_95 Come on in!! This group is extremely supportive. I think you will find what you are looking for. We are getting ready to read through The Alcohol Experiment together. Wanna grab the book and join?

@RosaCanDo Welcome!! Your story sounds a lot like mine. We’re ex military, moved 6 times in 9 years and had three kids along the way. Talk about losing your support system. I turned to alcohol to help numb out all the feelings. I think you will find what you are looking for in this group. They have been amazing so far! Thanks for ordering the book!! I’m excited to get this started!! And when you feel cravings, plug in here! I had an awful hour last night but posting here helped me get though it. There is always someone around to help.

2 Likes

Good morning everyone!!

I’m so thankful for everyone who helped me through last night. :heart::heart:I feel amazing this morning. Got the workout done, squats completed, kids off to school and ready for the day! I’ve planned for friends to come over Saturday but I’m not worried about wanting to drink at all. The wife is 7 months pregnant so we’ll be sober buddies together! What do you all have planned this weekend?!

4 Likes

This may trigger- if it does let me know and I can move to a private chat…

I’m taking a 5 day certification to be an end of life doula. It’s a personal interest for me (given gaps in healthcare) and I can use those skills to support family and friends. It’s about providing support and comfort for someone who knows they will pass (elderly, terminally ill) and also their family through the more human aspects vs medical. Creating legacy projects, guided meditation, exploring their wishes for being at home or in the hospital, who they want to be there… down to scented candles, kind of lighting, etc.

I know it might sound morbid but I feel like I have the skills, personality, etc to be that person for someone.

3 Likes

Imade it through dinner with girlfriends last night! Started at 6:30 didn’t head home until almost 10. I brought my non alcoholic beverage with me. Thankfully they drink red wine (I like white) so I really wasn’t tempted. Today will be harder as I frequently go 2 days without alcohol. I’ll be reading here a lot today!

4 Likes

We are expecting spring-like weather before a week of dreary rain, so some time outside is in order. I’m probably going to cook corned beef and cabbage and carrots, yum! Hubby is gonna grill out on Sunday for dinner and week’s meal prep, which is a big trigger, it’s always been beers and BBQ hand in hand…but I believe I’ve got this.

2 Likes

That kind of calling takes a very special person. I hope you enjoy your trainings and have a smooth day!

1 Like

Reas, read, read!! And post! Reach out for help!!

1 Like

I left work early and I’m gonna walk walk walk and buy some cbd oil

2 Likes

I agree, I think it’s a wonderful thing to do.@Journey1

1 Like

I just had a shocking moment when I left the office.

I saw two completely wasted women sitting on a bench. The were about my age, and you could see that damage heavy drinking had done to their faces.

I almost cried, I don’t want to end up like this.

1 Like

3 Likes