The first step

Today is day 1 of what I hope to be the rest of my life. There is no need for me to tell you how I got here - the fact that I am here should say enough. Anyway, I know I have a bumpy road ahead of me, especially since I am attending a Bachelorette party this weekend, so I ask you to please send me fortifying vibes so I can stay true to my goal. I will stay positive and remember my reasons for quitting!

6 Likes

You’ve got this. Might want to let at least one good friend at the bachelorette party know of your intentions so they can help nudge you in the right direction. That will be a hard first test but after you successfully go through that night without drinking you will have a huge accomplishment to look back on. I wish you the best of luck and we all support you and have confidence in you.

Welcome!!

If going is a concern with regards to keeping sober, then don’t go.

When I finally got sober…when it came to keeping sober, anything with alcohol was out of my life.

I “missed” many events in the beginning…because being sober was more important. At the time it seemed like missing a party or an event would be the end of the world.

I am 4.5 years sober…I could not tell you one event I missed. No one has brought up ne missing anything.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Getting sober takes hard work and dedication, as you know. It also takes positive actions, an open mind, and willingness to follow the experience and suggestions of others.

There are lots of people here like me, former “hopeless cases”, and lots of people who have been able to get and stay sober before the truly dire consequences and loss of control over their lives set in. I believe you will find some folks whose recovery resonates with you.

Here’s a thread discussing your exact situation! We’ve been through it ourselves and I hope reading it helps you.

2 Likes

my experience id wouldnt go but your choice,

Thank you all for the advice and support!