The High Fantasy Reading Thread

I haven’t read The Inheritance Cycle. What is that like?

I never read Harry Potter. I just couldn’t get excited about it. Don’t know why.

I bought WOK in hardback, so that’s what all of them will be. I get snobbish like that sometimes. And I can’t stand reading on my kindle. The only stuff I have on it are the smutty stuff that costs way too much to buy in paperback because there are no mainstream publishers that will produce my lesbo romance. Haha, but I got no shame! Just not willing to pay $25 for something I will finish in 4-6 hours.

1 Like

I’m a big HP fan. I’m reading Sorcerer’s Stone to my 7 year old right now.

The Inheritance Cycle is the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini. I dont think people usually refer to it by its actual title. Kind of like how everyone calls Song of Ice and Fire the Game of Thones series.

3 Likes

The first fantasy I ever read was Steven King/Peter Straub’sTalisman, and the second book, I think it was called Black House. I loved the idea of a parallel universe. So I read more parallel universe stuff. The Dark Tower series, Clive Barker’s Weaveworld, which was so good. Then I read The Great and Secret Show (also Clive Barker), which was AMAZING! Talk about parallel universes! I was obsessed with each of these. I stopped reading Clive Barker though when I couldn’t get into Imajica.

One thing though that differs drastically between these books and classic fantasy, is the raunchiness. SK and CB talk a lot about sex and gore, and even excretion, and they curse in English. You might not really notice if you’re always reading classic fantasy, but people never go to the bathroom. In all of WOT, I think they mentioned someone using the bathroom once. Plus there’s very little sex in classic fantasy. Romance, yes, but explicit sex, no. The closest WOT gets is when Rand and Aviendha are trapped in Seanchan together. And people curse in classic fantasy, but they do it in made up ways. Like “Blood and bloody ashes!” as Mat likes to say in WOT. SK and CB just outright curse, like shit, fuck, that kind of thing. It is very shocking if you go from reading WOT to reading SK.

1 Like

I read Ender’Game and Speaker to my little sister when she was 10.

1 Like

Yeah, I like my hardcopies too. But until 4 years ago, I moved like every two years, and we had to do some major culling of books when we moved from KY to IN. I held onto my favorite series. But after we got settled into our house, we just don’t have shelf space for more books. So we used the library a lot. But when I really like a book I like to read it over and over again, so I like to own books. But I can’t own all the books I read. We didn’t even have tablets until two years ago, but once I did it was just so immediate and simple to buy digital copies. I get so impatient to read a book.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Sarah J. Maas. She’s technically a young adult author, but her high fantasy series “A Court of Thorns and Roses” is pretty dang steamy and complex.

3 Likes

So what’s The Inheritance Cycle about? Why do you like it? How many books are there? Are there female characters?

I get it. I have to hire movers now because no one will help me move anymore. I live alone and books have always been my priority. The place I’m in now I took for two reasons, it was close to my bars and it could hold all my bookshelves. To be fair I didn’t have time to look at any places and this one fit the bill. I’m going to look again in a year, this time it’s gonna be about cheaper and books, not booze and book.

Haha, when I finally decide to get rid of some stuff I’ll have to post pictures and see if any of you want any of the books.

1 Like

We sold over $150 of books to Half Priced Books one time we moved. We like our books. Now I need to sell a bunch of statistics books because I don’t want them anymore and they’re taking up bookshelf space.

I would totally love to see the books you give away when you move! I was going ntroduced to lots of new authors when this lab mate of mine left grad school because he thought he was dying. He just put all his books on a shelf in the lab and told people to take what they wanted. I took a bunch! And he didn’t end up dying.

I read eragon. It was good enough

1 Like

Check oy the Dark Tower. It’s the ultimate redemption story. There’s even a junkie that becomes a Gunslinger and takes part is saving the universe.
It’s so good that my wife and I named our first born after the main character.

1 Like

Oy! Oy!
Buttnugget

I’ve cried every time I’ve read that part. And I’m like you, I’ve read it 10 times!
“Oy, to me!”

1 Like

Does watching the movie count lol? When I saw it was based on a book I wanted to read it

Lol. The movie is pretty bad. It was only slightly enjoyable because I’m such a fan

Have you seen the coming books?

And it’s not “A” book, it’s a bunch of them. Totally worth reading. But they are absolutely best if you’ve read a lot of other Stephen King books. He starts pulling in stuff from all his other books toward the end of the series. It’s really neat!

I’ve read a lot of King

1 Like

Oh goodness. If you have read King then you will love it. He says every story he has ever written is basically set in the Dark Tower universe

2 Likes