The High Fantasy Reading Thread

It’s about dragons… it does have elves though, which you said you hate, I think. 4 books. It’s got some pretty strong female characters, but it really only has 2 main POV’s. Both males. It’s a quick read.

1 Like

How heavy is King on the language? I tried reading The Shining once, but couldn’t get past every character dropping the F bomb in every sentence. It was over the top. I can handle people swearing, I dont myself, but that book seemed to be a bit unrealistic. Like Wolf of Wall Street unrealistic.

1 Like

It varies. There’s a lot of King books with very little swearing

How about the Dark Tower specifically?

I don’t have a problem with elves, must have been someone else :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, if you’re looking for something that’s a quick read and is immersive, that’s a pretty good one. I’m not super fast at reading. The 4 books probably took me a month and a half.

2 Likes

Thanks! I don’t read very quickly either. I can if necessary, but I don’t enjoy rushing myself.

I don’t remember specifically how crude the language is in the Dark Tower. But I do remember reading WOT for awhile and then trying to read King and being uncomfortably shocked at the language. But I don’t remember what King book it was.

1 Like

The language is there but not super bad. There is one character, Detta Walker that DOES curse a lot. But she isn’t in the books as much

1 Like

I tried to ask you before, but spell check screwed me over: have you seen the gunslinger graphic novels?

I have seen them. Never read one tho. Are they structured in order? Or just random stories?

Has anyone read Wind through The Keyhole?? It’s basically Dark Tower 3 1/2. Cool read if you are a Dark Tower fan

@Englishd, the movie had very little to do with the books. And it was terrible! I didn’t finish the series, just didn’t reach out and grab me. This seems to be the way with The Dark Tower. Some people absolity love it, others don’t. But I rarely hear people say they hate it. Definately not a bad place to start.

@DungeonMaster, I finished Eragon but couldn’t get into the next one. I’m curious to see how he’s developed as a writer. I know he has other stuff out there now. I can do some YA but not all.

It’s just the flashback story, my least favorite part. But the artwork is beautiful.

I’ve read it. I’ve read all 8.

I read every Stephen King book there was until about 1991 when I finished The Wastelands and started waiting for Dark Tower IV. I refused to read any more SK until he put that damn book out. He didn’t put it out until 1997. So I got sidetracked on authors like Robert Jordan. Now there are lots of SK books I haven’t read. I purged my collection at some point, and now I only have my favorites.

I think the next books are better. They introduce his cousin as one of the main characters. He’s a total BA that has no magic, but isn’t afraid to fight frightening creatures. You ought to pick the others up.

1 Like

Anyone read Trudi Canavan? She does young adult, but her Priestess of the White trilogy is awesome. Awesome.

I can read anything as long as it’s not too heavy on the eroticism. I try to avoid triggers.

1 Like

Anyone heard of “the Kingkiller Cronicles” by Patrick Rothfuss? It’s pretty good. I read the first two years ago and was waiting for the third. It defo has the groundwork of an amazing story. At the end of book 2 there’s many unanswered questions. But that’s how it goes

1 Like

I don’t think many of the classic fantasy books I’ve read have a lot of eroticism in them. I would stay away from Stephen King and Clive Barker if I were you though. I also think that it is possible the Juliet Marillier series has some, but I can’t remember too well. I don’t think Priestess of the White has much. But if you are super super religious you might not want to read that trilogy.

1 Like

Robin Hobb doesn’t have any eroticism, I don’t think. Maybe one scene, but it is more bittersweet than sexy. @DungeonMaster

2 Likes