The last year and a tale of omens

I met with my boss yesterday, told her about my upcoming move across the country, and she was surprisingly supportive. She wants to keep me on full-time, working from home. When I shared this news with my parents, my mom said, “You should be journaling about these days and this adventure. Someday you will be asked about a time when God was at work in your life.” She doesn’t realize how right she is because she knows nothing of my addiction.

I’m not sure about the whole God thing at the moment, I’m feeling a little jaded. But, I do know that there has occasionally been some divine intervention, so to speak, and in my addiction I always fought it.

It’s been almost a year since the last time I cheated on my wife. I had driven over 3 hours to a neighboring state to hook up with a woman I had randomly met at a bar a week earlier. The roads were bad, it was storming, I remember seeing cars in the ditch and thinking, “That could be me. That would be hard to explain.” I ignored the omen. I remember thinking to myself, “I don’t know this woman at all. She could steal my car, kill me, bury my body, and no one would ever know what happened to me.” I ignored the omen. When I arrived at my destination, the woman I was meeting was standing outside. A group of men appeared from the shadows and walk right toward me. I took a step back toward my car and asked, “What’s going on?” The woman I was meeting shrugged and said, “It’s fine.” The men walked right past me. I ignored the omen.

Fast forward to December and my wife finds out I had been having an affair. I come clean about all my indiscretions and we have been working on healing and communication ever since.

Fast forward to May and my wife begins to be courted by a company out west… Now we’re moving there. I do believe God, or some higher power, has been observing from a distance. Had my wife found out about my addiction in the spring or right now, I don’t think we would be moving together. I have no idea where my path is leading, but I am watching for omens now and following them.

I agree with my mother that I needed to journal about this time in my life somewhere, but I think this may be the only safe place to do that in full detail. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I can relate to a lot of this.

I too struggle with the God thing but often times feel like there is something else at work in my life that I can’t explain. I know there have been several times I felt those omens and just continued on and luckily nothing really bad happened. So I think there is something out there but I don’t know what it is. We need to be grateful for what we have.

Good luck in your journey and please come back here even after you move.

1 Like

You’re not getting rid of me that easily! This forum is vital to my program, I’ll be around.

2 Likes

@Rayrock @MikeSeekingHope. God to me, is an energy. I can feel it. I believe he works in me, through me, through others & around me. I believe he knows me, watches me, has protected me & helped me…and I’m only aware a small smattering of it.

I do believe in omens or feelings of foreboding being God inspired. And in looking back, I can see that there were almost always smaller signs preceding the bigger ones.

It works for me to think that God, will start by throwing a pebble in my path to get my attention. If that doesn’t grab it, he’ll throw a stone, then a rock, then a brick…then finally an entire house will fall on me. I try to pay attention to the pebbles & stones today. I don’t always catch them. But the more tuned into the God signs, the easier I’m able to spot them.

1 Like

When you look for God he always provides. Maybe not in our timeframe but his.

Looks like things are going well for you. Keep it up!