The little voice inside my head

The little voice is screaming, maybe this time you can moderate, maybe this time its gonna work.
I need help to shut it up!
I know its a part of this al and that the chances are i cant moderate and it wont be different but how on earth do i stop the little voice screaming??
I dont wanna relapse and im not planning to go to the store or any day soon. Thank god i have no booz in house. Any advices how to ignore it?
Thanks for reading i love to read your stories about this.

7 Likes

Shut it up! Say stop aloud or silently.

Get yourself distracted. Puzzles, reading, having a walk. Get some space between you and that voice. Also, that you can name this as an inner voice creates some distance.

Like someone outside tells you, hey what about a drink tonight? Yeahhhh, wellll, nooooooooo way, not today. Maybe tomorrow. Thank you.

5 Likes

A lot of people name theirs and relate it to something hideous. One of my favorites is the lecherous lounge guy trying to be cool and get you go on a date. Make him/her into something grotesque and/or ridiculous that you can tell to shut up or go away, or even better - “not if you were the last person on Earth” kind of vibe.

Some even give it a face, get a bunching bag, or even one of those blow up clowns and just punch the hell out it.

Whatever you gotta do to get rid of the lech!

3 Likes

Something I’ve noticed during my recovery is the voice never really goes away. I can’t silence it. It’s like the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other kind of thing.

I like to call that voice in my head, The DJ. The DJ plays tunes that are not exactly what I want to hear 24/7 but the best part is that if I ignore the DJ and listen, see, do something else, the volume from The DJ turns down and the volume from my interaction in reality goes up. Again, The DJ doesn’t go away, more just muffled in the background.
I’m a tactile learner or a hands on kind of guy so as long as my hands are busy, like typing on this keyboard, I don’t have to listen to The DJ as much. I think the best way for me, in general, to keep The DJ quiet is to keep my body physically moving or else The DJ will start to play some of those songs I don’t want to hear.
Also, it is OK to listen to what the voices in your head have to say. Maybe for a minute at a time, then get up and do something to numb it out. The best way to fight back against The DJ is too listen so I can learn to understand what the DJ is saying.
Keep in mind that until a Higher Power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity, the challenges of self righteousness are still poisonous to our spiritual growth.

5 Likes

I’ve fallen victim to that voice, so I got smarter about alcohol. Learned what it is, how it’s made, what it does to your nervous system, cardiovascular system, digestive system. I learned about addiction and how it works. I learned about the stages if withdrawal and how to manage. I did this so that the next time I hear that voice I could have a conversation with it. After much debate, I came to this conclusion.

I want to moderate because that would give me permission to (eventually) get drunk, and that is all that I really want, because I am an alcoholic and that is what alcoholics do.

The fact is, there are no benefits to drinking at all; NONE, ergo, no reason to ever drink again.

8 Likes

I can relate to this so well. We always know it can never be one of anything. Think of all the reason why you’re happier sober. Distract yourself from the nagging voice and tell it to leave you alone. Go on a walk and listen to the birds sing, watch a movie, read a book, paint your nails, do a facial. Treat yourself today and just breath

5 Likes

I call mine the wine bitch. And when she starts she’s full on. I actually tell her to fuck off! Out loud… just… “fuck off”! Then I keep myself busy and don’t even check to see if she’s still there. I always run through the H.A.L.T symptoms list just to be sure that I’m none of the hungry, angry, lonely or tired vibes are going on and then I just charge on. This too shall pass! And it does eventually. Just be resolute and strong and remember that you are not a normal drinker, you are here because you, like me, can not just have one! Well done on reaching out, it took me ages to learn to do that :clap:t2::two_hearts:

6 Likes

It is brilliat that you can separate from your addiction desire voice from the more Human one.

You are in the driver’s seat

2 Likes

Thank you all, im gonna try some of the advices it is so good to read the messages. Knowing im not alone gives me the strenght to keep going. Im really thankfull for al the people around here supporting eachother!!

8 Likes

From Don Henley’s "Boys of Summer…
“A little voice inside my head said, don’t look back, you can never look back”.
It’s actually excellent advice, look forward towards your goal, always…

4 Likes

Thank you for reminding me of that song i really love it!!

1 Like

Well that’s stuck in my head for the rest of the day :flushed:…lol. Love that song :rofl::pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

I see that voice as an open door in the corridors of my mind. It can never be closed so I need to learn to walk past it. I couldn’t do this without my Higher Power.

2 Likes

That little voice in my head is part of my issue too it never shuts up it’s scary to know that it can possibly talk me into doing something I don’t want to do anymore I got everything going for me right now I’ve got a place of my own just bought me a car but that little voice inside my head tells me that I can do it one time and never do it again and I know better I know better one day at a time one step at a time one minute at a time that’s what I have to think

1 Like

So sorry, not sorry…:sweat_smile::rofl:

1 Like