The nights are killing me!

I work a 9 to 5 but when I get home the anxiety kicks my butt. I live alone and since I’m not drinking now I feel even more alone. I can’t sleep at all. I’m wide awake with insomnia. I’ve been drinking for 17 years so I have no idea how to process my day soberly. This is brand new for me. I find myself dealing with every emotion I’ve ever felt. I’ve even tried calling people but seems everyone is sleep. I feel like I’m rambling but being sober is tough. Hopefully this anxiety starts residing. I’d love to get on a normal sleep schedule.

5 Likes

Maybe try going to a meeting? You wouldnt be alone then and you could talk to others who are going through or have gone through the same struggles you are facing right now.

In my early days of sobriety all I did was read the boards on this app and comment when I felt I had something to add. Also read Allen Carrs easy way to quit drinking and listened to Recovery Elevator podcasts.

Im about 200 days sober now and I started going to a crossfit gym and I am also trying to make dinner for the family 2 nights a week so I can learn how to cook.

9 Likes

Thank you so much for these tips! And I’ll definitely be checking that out! Adding Allen Carr to my list.

1 Like

I would recommend hitting a meeting. The worst that can happen is you get out of the house for an hour and don’t drink

7 Likes

I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this. It must be so stressful. It sounds like you need some serious sleep. What have you tried for the insomnia? Melatonin and magnesium can help. Meditation. An epsom salt bath with lavender maybe. Maybe they aren’t going to cut it but it’s worth a try. You can also see your doctor for a prescription but try some home remedies first.

4 Likes

Sleeping was tough in the beginning for me too. I had to stay busy right up until bed time. I did this before bed.
Shower
Read (this naked mind was good)
Thank a higher power I didnt believe in (found my higher power now)
turn on fan, humidifier, diffuser etc
Guided bedtime meditation
No phone or tv in bedroom
Took some time but I have never fell asleep quicker nor have I ever felt so rested as I do now that I’m sober.
You will find what works best for you. Just keep trying new things and be patient

5 Likes

It is hard in the beginning, feeling all those emotions we drank to hide from. I had to learn to witness my feelings and let them pass. I remember realizing I had never truly processed many of my feelings without the haze of alcohol or even felt them sober. Eye opening.

Occupying your mind and body, working one or the other or both to exhaustion helped me a lot during earlier months. Especially getting physical activity. Finding some hobbies…puzzles are great or intricate coloring…cooking, baking, relaxing in the tub, reading, yoga and mediation are great for me.

For sleep, you can find lots of restorative yoga and yoga nidra (sleep yoga) on YouTube…very helpful in relaxing before bed…as are warm baths or showers. Epsom salts (magnesium) in the bath can help. Meditation apps. I use a weighted blanket that calms me at night. Melatonin in small doses for a week or two can help, but be sure not to overdo it. Valerian tea can help. I also like having a cup of bedtime tea…there are many different but similar kinds.

Hope this gives you some good suggestions to try. You aren’t alone with sleeping issues.

2 Likes

Oh, you just reminded me…we took our alarm clock out of the bedroom too. We have alarms on our smart watches. This way the lights from the time do not interfere with sleep and if I DO wake up in the night I’m no lo her stressing about the time and how I NEED to fall asleep again…I just do.

1 Like

Have you tried taking melatonin?
Works wonders for my insomnia.

I also recomend hitting a meeting, if you dont like it you never have to go back, but it’s worth a try.

PS. I’m not actively working the steps nor do I attend regular meetings, but even if you pick up one thing it’s worth it. It should also help with your anxiety.

You’re not alone!

2 Likes

Yeah but it didn’t work for me. Tonight I’m going to start reading. Thst was a popular suggestion. Also going to start back working out again.

1 Like

One word, melatonin. Trust!

The time use to stress me out too. The smart watch works for me too

It sounds good that you are facing your worries as opposed to covering them in alcohol.

You could try getting a large notebook and writing ypur thoughts. I tried this as a teen and it is amazing how quickly thoughts can calm when you have been writing about them for a few minutes. I would write .in the style of a conversation with myself. I also starting reading physchology books that greatly helped me.

Books like “games people play”

Good luck!!!

3 Likes