The only one that has an addiction to Youtube?

I’ve spend so much of my lifetime with watching YouTube videos. But I couldn’t live without it, bc I’m used to watch them all day long. After work, during cleaning, even if I actually have something really important to do, I prefer watching YT videos instead of doing something useful.
Has anybody made similiar experiences?

2 Likes

It could be an addiction, or it could be a compulsion. It’s easy to get sucked in or distracted by one things, especially if it enables us to avoid doing something unpleasant. But really, it could be procrastination, too.

1 Like

Yeah, it might be procrastination. But why do some people have to struggle with that and others don’t?

hmmm, i watch youtube all of the time, but i dont watch a lot of tv. most of my screen time is on the internet… I am at work right now watching house to Sous Vide a dry aged steak. Just wondering if this is the addiction you are struggling with or are you recovering from something else? Because i say hell, if you arent drinking or using then by all means watch whatever you want.

1 Like

unless you watching videos is literally preventing you from doing everyday tasks then i suggest starting a timer on the app and give it up for a week or two and see if your life gets better, i think that’s a good way to figure this out.

1 Like

Absolutely addicted to YouTube. Watch it every day.

2 Likes

Self-discipline is doing what you aught to be doing, even when you don’t feel like doing it. It’s also not doing something that you want to do, because you know that it shouldn’t be done. Some people compulsively shoplift. The see it. They want it. Self-disciplined people see it, want it, but either pay for it, or leave it because either they can’t afford it, or know that there are more important things to do with their money.

I have the type of job where it would take my employer a long time to figure out that I wasn’t doing it. That is where integrity comes in. Some days it would be quite easy for me to just stay in bed. That’s where self-discipline comes in.

When it comes to my DOC, alcohol, I always have the option to give myself permission to drink. But I have learned that doing that will likely have negative outcomes. Therefore, I have chosen never to drink again. Simple. Not easy. Just simple.

Good idea, but I already tried an app that locks chosen apps for certain time. Deleted the app after 3 days.
And yes, it definitely prevents me from doing everyday tasks. Almost EVERY task.

1 Like

Heres a good website that gives all kind of 12 step groups for different kinds of addictions.

(Internet and Tech Addiction)
“For anyone suffering from an addiction to the internet or from excessive technology use (including the use of smartphones), this group offers hope and resources and includes non-theistic programs for those who do not connect to the concept of a higher power.”

1 Like

i also read a little more into it, it has to do with something called impulse control disorder. Maybe try bringing it up to your doctor or seek out an addictions counselor?

That’s really kind of you :slight_smile:

But I can’t deal with these addiction support groups bc I’m from Germany.

Still, I’ll work my way into the “impulse control disorder” topic. So thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

there are support groups all around the world, if you look hard enough you will find them. Wishing you the best You can use this forum to check in with your days away from youtube as well! check out “checking in daily to help maintain focus”

Im guilty of doing this :raising_hand_woman:‍♀️. Im a stay at home mom and i watch it while i do laundry, clean, cook, and even when i drive ill hook up my phone to the car audio and listen to YouTube. I also like reading the comments because some people can write really funny comments. I don’t really see it as a problem. Sometimes i think i do it because if i don’t ill just think about a million things at once and when i watch it i don’t have to think. I focus on what im watching. (I wasnt really worried about it before but now that i read my message over and over i see the problem. ) Sometimes social media overwhelms me.

1 Like

Anything interfering with the life you want to live is worth getting free of.

Anything that you routinely give more of yourself to than you would like is a problem.

Whether it is an addiction, unfortunately, is up to you. What counts as an addiction, also, unfortunately, is you to you. Addiction is under so much scrutiny and rethinking that this is a murky question with a murkier answer.

The awesome news is: who cares about all that when it comes to your life!

If it’s lowering your quality of life, get help from people who understand – no matter what you want to call the problem!

Have you looked up humans in your area who are struggling with the same problem?

1 Like

I’m new here. Have the same problem. Its like my brain is on auto pilot going from one video to another. And when I realise how muh time has passed by and how much I have procrastinated… it just disgusts me.

I tried this too. Used an app called “StayFocused” for about a month.

But when it unclocked after a month, I fell back a 100 times harder. I was even more of a compulsive user. And above all, it’s been 2 months and I still haven’t put the app block again.

It takes effort to even activate that app block via Stay Focused. Hell.

We have to stop this autopilot. I’m planning to slowly get leave it step by step. I don’t think blocking will work.

I’ve done it like so MANY times!

Still looking for answers.